Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have been trying to read through all of the pages.....

I haven't yet seen that much discussion about the chicks. (I know, I should probably just shush, be patient, and wait for the tiny things to grow up)

But..I noticed that my cute little chicks are starting to grow in white feathers on the outside leading edge of their wings. HUH?

What does that mean? Why would they be growing in white feathers? I saw their parents, and I saw no white at all on the parents.

Thanks so much fr hold my hand through all of these silly questions.

I have been trying to read through all of the pages.....

I haven't yet seen that much discussion about the chicks. (I know, I should probably just shush, be patient, and wait for the tiny things to grow up)

But..I noticed that my cute little chicks are starting to grow in white feathers on the outside leading edge of their wings. HUH?

What does that mean? Why would they be growing in white feathers? I saw their parents, and I saw no white at all on the parents.

Thanks so much fr hold my hand through all of these silly questions.

normal; most will molt out when they get their adult feathers. out of 22 chicks from 3 breeders I had 2 that never had white on their wings. Predicitons were that they would be too dark, mossy females. surprise, both boys. One actually had way too much orange (one of my flamin' orange guys). The other has grown out to be pretty nice, but not enough color on the back.

I know of one in clermont, and his birds are gorgeous, and very nicely priced, here are pics of his stock, I'll message you the info if you decide to go to him.

I live only a few miles from David. I have contacted him before when I got interested in Marans and had some questions. But he never could say where he got them from? Nice guy though, but I passed the birds on. He does try to keep the price reasonable.

I am in Murrayville, next door to Clermont. :)

I live only a few miles from David. I have contacted him before when I got interested in Marans and had some questions. But he never could say where he got them from? Nice guy though, but I passed the birds on. He does try to keep the price reasonable.

I am in Murrayville, next door to Clermont. :)

Never asked to be honest, Got new stock this year though, better birds, and yeah, really nice guy.

This is my 3 week old black copper maran chick...any thoughts on the weird color pattern coming in on her?

I believe this is called "mossiness." If there is only small amounts it may moult out. In this case I would expect it will not moult out as much as there is, and I would put her in a layer-only flock.

I believe this is called "mossiness." If there is only small amounts it may moult out. In this case I would expect it will not moult out as much as there is, and I would put her in a layer-only flock.

Looks like it is a cockerel? I had two of those this year from an outside source, both turned out to be cockerels with too much color on the breasts. They will be sold to the meat guy when old enough. I hope their sisters will not reproduce this! (will have to cull HARD with those).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom