Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I am on my phone so i cant see the pic great. It does look like autosomal barring. It is also looks lime a pullet to me. It can moult out but i would not use them in breeding. I am not really sure what causes it. Pink knows more about it than i do. I understand reg barring but not autosomal.......maybe because it is not a good think to have so i have just culled it the few times i have seen it.

Thanks for all the great feedback! :) Yea she'll definitely be used for laying only and so will the others that have this coloring going on. It upsets me a bit cause I was so excited to be getting some black coppers that I could raise some chicks from :( I will continue to try and get some nice birds that are worthy of breeding! lol

K.... I had a whole question typed, then byc lost it :-( and I'm writing from my phone.... Grrr....
Is the straw colored eyes on the Bcm cockerel in the middle of the pic normal for a 7-8 week Bcm? This boy also seems to have (in my very limited experience) extremely pale shanks.... Most of the shanks on his sisters are darker. I've noticed the eye thing on several of the pullets as well...

Eta: I'm asking as I think they are supposed to settle into a darker brown, right?

Last edited:
K.... I had a whole question typed, then byc lost it :-( and I'm writing from my phone.... Grrr....
Is the straw colored eyes on the Bcm cockerel in the middle of the pic normal for a 7-8 week Bcm? This boy also seems to have (in my very limited experience) extremely pale shanks.... Most of the shanks on his sisters are darker. I've noticed the eye thing on several of the pullets as well...

Eta: I'm asking as I think they are supposed to settle into a darker brown, right?

It takes a while for the eyes to darken to the right color, it should darken as he ages.

Pearl eye is a DQ - I just had a discussion with Walt Leonard about this; however, I thought the pearl eye literally was a whitish/pearl color, now brown/green. Like the desired pearl eye on the white Cornish?

Pearl eye is a DQ - I just had a discussion with Walt Leonard about this; however, I thought the pearl eye literally was a whitish/pearl color, now brown/green. Like the desired pearl eye on the white Cornish?
I have wondered about eye color also and like you I had thought pearl eye meant a whitish pearl color
roll.png
I have one boy whose eyes are very dark, nearly black at 6 months. What would that be called and would it be a fault or a DQ?

Maybe someone could post pictures of eyes that are correct and those that are DQ or faults?

Pearl eye is a DQ - I just had a discussion with Walt Leonard about this; however, I thought the pearl eye literally was a whitish/pearl color, now brown/green.  Like the desired pearl eye on the white Cornish?

I had thought they were supposed to be darker :), but since they started with almost black eyes... I got scared.... Glad to know they could be changing for awhile till they settle down... :)

Back
Top Bottom