Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Thank you, that is clear.

Do you think that the over melanized Marans tend to lay darker eggs? Or, do you think that there is no connection between the feather color and the egg color
I I really don't think there's a connection, since there doesn't seem to be a pattern with who lays the darker egg, I think it's more on the strain of the bird. It is possible that the tendency for mossy birds to lay dark eggs comes from someone ONLY breeding for dark egg, and then forgetting about the color of the bird. Just my opinion.

Hey guys :)
I have been getting suspicious on this chick anf if its a rooster. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

I have been getting some really weird eggs (see pics) It took a while but i have finally narrowed it down to the Black and Blue copper marans group. Not sure exactly which one is laying them though (yet).

I am wondering if there might be something i can do with diet, vitamins etc: to make this go away or if it is genetically determined, all opinions are welcome.

The egg on the right is the one i am talking about, the other has a different problem.

Last edited:
Hey guys
smile.png

I have been getting suspicious on this chick anf if its a rooster. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

X3 Rooster.
I have been getting some really weird eggs (see pics) It took a while but i have finally narrowed it down to the Black and Blue copper marans group. Not sure exactly which one is laying them though (yet).

I am wondering if there might be something i can do with diet, vitamins etc: to make this go away or if it is genetically determined, all opinions are welcome.

The egg on the right is the one i am talking about, the other has a different problem.

Sometimes I see marks like this when the hens lay their egg down in the bedding instead of up in the nest box, I think it is by urine in the bedding discoloring the egg. Do you remember where you picked this egg up from?

I have heard that the melanizers are part of what makes the egg dark. I wonder about that since hypermelanistic birds like Silkies, Cemani etc don't lay dark eggs. BUT I keep reading that the melanized ones lay darker. Someone told me the other day that the mossy ones might lay darker but I think that was a mistake. I meant to say that at least the mossy ones should lay a dark egg even if it isn't the darkest of all my Marans.

X3 Rooster.
Sometimes I see marks like this when the hens lay their egg down in the bedding instead of up in the nest box, I think it is by urine in the bedding discoloring the egg. Do you remember where you picked this egg up from?

It is something to look out for but I have been getting them for a while now and they show up in all kinds of different places, i'll make notes as i find
them, but this one did show up on the floor. Do you think it might be stress?

Back
Top Bottom