Black Copper Marans discussion thread

One of my pairings this year is producing lovely pullets in every way except for feather stubs/fluff on the webbing between the outer toe and middle toe. No middle toe feathers or stubs. Would you guys cull for this alone?

If that's the ONLY issue you have with them, then yes, I would cull for it. It really depends where you are in your breeding program, but if you haven't any other issues, to move your flock forward, you'd want to cull for that. To me, this is one of those finer detail issues that you would cull for once you have the bigger ones resolved.
smile.png

Wynette

Thanks for the info on my birds. Good help for me the rookie. I know nothing is ever perfect but it will help me get off to a good start :)

Yea the Black Copper Roo is headed to auction Thursday along with the other Blue Copper with no feathering on his legs and I also agree that the Black copper looks more like a game bird than anything else

You are talking about the last set of pics attached from jaybobrenn correct??

Thanks, Randy
Yes, I was. Jay added more pics and they are all blurry so its very hard to tell but I stand by my initial observatsion BUT I am new enough that it doesn't matter much. I say what I see and hope others will confirm or teach.
One of my pairings this year is producing lovely pullets in every way except for feather stubs/fluff on the webbing between the outer toe and middle toe. No middle toe feathers or stubs. Would you guys cull for this alone?

Not without plucking it first and seeing if it grew back. If it grows back then, yes. IMO its worth the eight weeks to the chicken and to me to see that through.

Sue, that's a good question on the blue; I thought the blue was preferred to be laced in Marans, but I don't think it's been written yet for the blues, has it? You would sure know that befor me!
smile.png

(sidebar: the topline of both male and female should NOT be horizontal - it should go uphill from the base of the tail to the base of the neck, with the angle a bit steeper in the male; this is the "topline" of the bird.)

Last edited:
Well I read all 692 pages
wink.png

I don't have to tell ya'll what time it is, as I'm sure most of ya'll have the crockpot going non-stop this time of year. Its time to clean up my mess and I saw this thread so I thought I might post some pics and get some input that I hadn't thought of. I'm working on several breeds and it can get overwhelming to retain everything and at the same think of new ways to use a certain roo to help out in some fashion.

I'm fond of this guy in several ways but obviously he's not perfect. I'm only curious about the coloring aspect and wonder if anyone would advise keeping such a bird for ANY reason...such as quickly putting copper back into an otherwise great hen? :)

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/LUCKYDUX2/CHICKENS/DSCI0131_zps02c6cf45.jpg

I'm sorry but the pics aren't posting properly right now for some reason. I'll have to work on getting the pictures to show up in the thread but for now a link is all that's working
Thanks for any input

Well I read all 692 pages
wink.png

I don't have to tell ya'll what time it is, as I'm sure most of ya'll have the crockpot going non-stop this time of year. Its time to clean up my mess and I saw this thread so I thought I might post some pics and get some input that I hadn't thought of. I'm working on several breeds and it can get overwhelming to retain everything and at the same think of new ways to use a certain roo to help out in some fashion.

I'm fond of this guy in several ways but obviously he's not perfect. I'm only curious about the coloring aspect and wonder if anyone would advise keeping such a bird for ANY reason...such as quickly putting copper back into an otherwise great hen? :)

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/LUCKYDUX2/CHICKENS/DSCI0131_zps02c6cf45.jpg

I'm sorry but the pics aren't posting properly right now for some reason. I'll have to work on getting the pictures to show up in the thread but for now a link is all that's working
Thanks for any input
I wouldn't keep him for breeding. Too many things wrong. If you want him for a pet you could keep him. I have several pet roosters that are big ol sweeties
tongue.png
I usually get more attached to my hens than my roos but there are definitely some exceptions lol.

Back
Top Bottom