Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Sadly, I am starting over on my Black copper breeding program. A couple months ago my son and his family came to live with us for a few months while they relocate back to this area. One of the family members happens to be a German shorthair / blue heeler cross. Today she decided she either hates or loves free range chicken. Only one broody BCM and four incubator chicks survived. Here's to new beginnings!!

Come and get some, I would be happy to share :) I think a lot of locals may be getting some really nice dark egg layers!!!

Well... Chihully is over there, BCMs and what else??? Maybe I could convince the family that it was a 'family trip' and we just happened to come home with chickens... although then I would have to drive across the US. Um.... driving down the road with three kids is enough to make me crazy sometimes so... ... airmail? lol

Dh and I are looking for the best roos to keep. These are April hatch and two of th top contenders by our eyes. Please critique and help us decide. And yes, DH was wondering why I was chuckling while I snapped the pics.

I hope these are the same two roos DH was holding ( We have 13 in the pen so you understand the confusion.) Ignore any with a yellow tag: we have already nixed that one. Pink tags mean =possible keepers. The heavier one of these roos holds his tail a bit straighter up and I fear it is too high. This strain doesn't have mossiness in the chest so we don't need to cull for that.
Please... bring on the critiques.

I hope these are the same two roos DH was holding ( We have 13 in the pen so you understand the confusion.) Ignore any with a yellow tag: we have already nixed that one. Pink tags mean =possible keepers. The heavier one of these roos holds his tail a bit straighter up and I fear it is too high. This strain doesn't have mossiness in the chest so we don't need to cull for that. Please... bring on the critiques.
humm...both of the birds are better than the DH(AKA designated hitter, see baseball)....so...I think Greenfire will give you a dozen hatching eggs for the DH.....and Bev Davis will pony up a Wheaten for one of the BCM.....of course if you're talking turkey, there's a gent in Hanover, PA that'll deal....lol...sorry...have to poke fun sometimes....and I know so little. both birds look better than some of the women I've dated....

Hi again! Just say a Craigslist add in my area for a free BCM rooster. Here's the only picture listed.
So is he worth my time or should I just wait 'til my BCM babies grow out instead? :)

I would like to remind everyone that we are looking for med to dark slate legs. the lighter legs seem to indicate wheaten influence.

I would like to remind everyone that we are looking for med to dark slate legs. the lighter legs seem to indicate wheaten influence.

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to remember. :)

I have a 3 week old pullet that has mossy wing tips. She could molt out of it, but with it appearing so early should I avoid breeding her?

Back
Top Bottom