Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Can I get some feed back on these pullets ? hatched late April. Thank You.

Pullet/hens should only have copper on their hackles, not spread around the body like your pullet. I've never had one like that. Some say they "could" grow out of it,, but since they shouldn't have it to bein with either, I wouldn't breed her.

Can I get some feed back on these pullets ? hatched late April. Thank You.

THe bottom hen appears to have barring in her feathers; possibly a cross with a Cuckoo? I woudl not use either for breeding, unfortunately. The first is clean legged and also appears to be showing shafting in the breast feathering.

Thanks for the replies, they're helpful. So is it correct to say that mahogany is too dark and straw is too light? If so, here's a question: what if someone only had mahogany and straw to choose from in their flock for breeding stock, which would someone choose? Or would they want to use some of both in hopes of getting the right color in future generations? I don't think that's my situation, but I'm curious. BTW, I have no plans to sell chicks, these are just our backyard flock. I just like to think that things worth doing, are worth doing right.
smile.png
If all other things were equal, I would definitely use the mahogany over the straw-hackled male. Actually, I don't know that you could force me to use a male with a halo (lighter hackle toward the bottom). JMO. We are working so diligently to remove the wheaten influence, it would be taking a step backward to use a male that has a strong indicator of it.

Thank You for your input... I will be taking more pics of the others in the hatch. out of 7 chicks i got 5 pullets, we will enjoy the eggs, even if they don't go to the fair or are good enough for breeding.

THe bottom hen appears to have barring in her feathers; possibly a cross with a Cuckoo?  I woudl not use either for breeding, unfortunately.  The first is clean legged and also appears to be showing shafting in the breast feathering.

This is autosomal barring, not related to the barring or cuckoo gene. :)

This is autosomal barring, not related to the barring or cuckoo gene.
smile.png
Really? I just read a couple months ago something about this....I think I copy/pasted it into my notes section on my computer..........

Autosomal barred or pencilling (They are both the same, just on different alleles) are an amalgamation of of certain genes, coming together in the same fowl at the same time. Namely Pg (pattern gene) and Db (Dark brown) in the form of Pg/Pg Db/Db.

The only way of identifying whether it is autosomal or barring is by mating to something you know is pure.

Do we know that this has been done in this case? Perhaps what I'd read isn't accurate...that could be.

Is it possible to get a splash out of a black over blue copper marans breeding? I do have a couple blue coppers that are more lavender than blue if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom