Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I just got this Bev's line Black Copper Maran 2 weeks ago. I was told this is pullet, but she is very aggressive towards my other pullets and this morning I saw her jumped on my small Ameraucana? Can pullet hump too?

Cockerel or pullet?

Cockerel. You can tell by his fiery hackle feathers, which is exactly like what my young FBCM rooster had as a chick (and still does).

I crossed my Black Copper Marans rooster with my Silver Cuckoo Marans hen. Does anybody have a picture of the offspring of this cross or can at least describe the cross's plumage? Thanks.

I crossed my Black Copper Marans rooster with my Silver Cuckoo Marans hen. Does anybody have a picture of the offspring of this cross or can at least describe the cross's plumage? Thanks.

you made a sex link cross all the roos will be barred and probably have copper leaking.....not good for breeding. the pullets will hatch black. they will most likely color in like a reg copper Marans pullet.

Last edited:
Cockerel. You can tell by his fiery hackle feathers, which is exactly like what my young FBCM rooster had as a chick (and still does).

Riverdreamer- to add if you just got this guy 2 weeks ago, most likely the seller already knew it was a rooster. If it was sold to your as a pullet I'd be going back for my money back.

you made a sex link cross all the roos will be barred and probably have copper leaking.....not good for breeding. the pullets will hatch black. they will most likely color in like a reg copper Marans pullet.

I don't breed FBCMs, so I don't think I'd have to worry about it. The roosters of the hatch will most likely go to crock pot camp anyway.

What Donna said. You will get sex linked babies.

Someone asked this question the other day on Facebook in a group and got told it would make Golden Cuckoo Marans...
idunno.gif

What Donna said. You will get sex linked babies.

Someone asked this question the other day on Facebook in a group and got told it would make Golden Cuckoo Marans... :idunno

I have heard that too about the roos but I think they are wheatens based not copper based.

Hi, I posted about this in another thread but I may have been the wrong group. I found this egg in the nest box today. I have 3 BCM that are just over 15 weeks. I know this is extremely young to start laying but I don't know how else to explain this egg.

I have it next to a large store bought egg. The other brown egg layer I have are a BR, a SLW, a production red and red sex link. Any ideas?

Hi, I posted about this in another thread but I may have been the wrong group. I found this egg in the nest box today. I have 3 BCM that are just over 15 weeks. I know this is extremely young to start laying but I don't know how else to explain this egg.

I have it next to a large store bought egg. The other brown egg layer I have are a BR, a SLW, a production red and red sex link. Any ideas?

My red sex links lay eggs of that color..

Back
Top Bottom