Black Copper Marans discussion thread

this is my mystery chick from a marans egg. This is from my pen breeding pen and there are no other breeds with them.

Thanks for the replies. This morning she is all fluffy and dried out and looks really pretty with a little bit of dark brown on her back and wings. The wing tips have some white on them like the black chicks. Will try to get some better pics when she is in the brooder. I have never had BCM before so am interested to see how she turns out.

I have swedish flower hens in the pen next to My marans but the sfh roo has never been out. If he had gone into my marans pen somehow my marans roo would have killed him! It baffles me!

not sure having or not having feathered legs would be a sign. Marans will have chicks without feathered legs all the time. I have even gotten feathered legs in breeds that don't have feathered legs....like wyandotte and Ameraucanas. remember leg feathering comes from several genes at work and each works a little differently.

Last edited:
I had some leghorn eggs appear in the nest box of my Marans pen. The leghorn was in the run NEXT to the Marans. I finally shut her up in the coop and still her **** egg kept appearing in the Marans nest box. Took me a bit , but I finally figured it out....there was a rat who would sneak eggs from the Leghorn pens, carry them over to the Marans, grab more eggs.....how did I figure it out? Well, the EE eggs began to appear in the Leghorn run and she was in the barn. So I moved the hens out of the Marans pen, put a glue trap down and caught a rat with the leghorn egg. I was going crazy trying to figure this out. Now I notice the ravens carry the eggs around as well....maybe you had some help like I did? I found the rat's nest, about 20 feet away from the run, under the dog igloo with lots of broken egg shells....for a while there I was sure one of my Marans was laying a white egg....I even isolated them but they laid dark eggs....(Whew)

I have some pics of the 'cuckoo in the nest'.
gig.gif

It really is a beautiful chick and the colours do not show as brightly with my camera but she is orange.

Back
Top Bottom