Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Pickin - initial thoughts (and I am not an expert) are that his eyes are too dark, as are his shanks. Also, he doesn't have much color coming in on his saddles; do you know if he has pure black crossed into him (per shank color)? His color balance isn't great, but it's not bad, either. Some people think it's okay to use pure black and that it helps to "cover" mossiness in the offspring. He appears to have decent shank feathering, his tail angle is good, I do like his nice, long back, and he appears to have the correct topline - all this is never 100% certain when giving feedback via pictures, but from what I see, those are my pesonal thoughts.

Gosh, I'm sorry to say this, but it also appears he has a side sprig on his comb (see that bump that juts out to the side?). That would be a DQ in a show. He's also got a thumbprint or twist in the comb, this is not a DQ, but a fault. I honestly feel like this male has much too much negative going on to use him as a breeder. Again, just my opinion, and I'm sorry to bring bad news.
sad.png

Wynette , you are too modest! Your eggs are beating the pants of everyone else....

Gosh, that's sweet! Thanks for saying so, but there's always room for improvement! And what's to say my next generation will also lay dark? I never hold hope that each generation's egg color is going to improve, as you just never know with this breed, and there's sparese information out there on the genetics of egg color.

Gosh, I'm sorry to say this, but it also appears he has a side sprig on his comb (see that bump that juts out to the side?). That would be a DQ in a show. He's also got a thumbprint or twist in the comb, this is not a DQ, but a fault. I honestly feel like this male has much too much negative going on to use him as a breeder. Again, just my opinion, and I'm sorry to bring bad news.
sad.png

Thank You for your opinions on him I appreciate it. Im not planning on keeping him. I just wanted to see if he was any good. Im looking for a pet quality home for him otherwise he goes to the freezer in a few weeks.

This is my Walter, he is 19-20 weeks. His comb is about half his body weight, it's big and thick.

This is Mrs. Walter, just started laying. First 2 yesterday and a third this afternoon.

Egg color. How come I am getting fewer really dark eggs this year from the same flock as last year. I understand the eggs are darker at the beginning of a cycle, but mine have been generally lighter for the year. I did use a clear bulb over their water bucket last winter. Could that have messed up their laying cycle. What else can affect egg color?

W
This is my Walter, he is 19-20 weeks. His comb is about half his body weight, it's big and thick. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] This is Mrs. Walter, just started laying. First 2 yesterday and a third this afternoon. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
What are your plans for these birds? Are you using them in hopes of breeding them?

Back
Top Bottom