Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I don't show chickens and never will and you may be correct about the 10% at shows and from judges. I was only correcting your comment

the American SOP states you can have up to 10% it does NOT STATE A PERCENT IN THE SOP

You will also not find Marans in the current SOP they were admitted too late for inclusion. there are several thread that have the standard on BYC and you can also get it from the Marans club sites..... not sure which one is the one that got them admitted but theirs would be the GOLD standard for Marans. I can't post links from my phone. maybe Wynette or math ace could post those links for you.

One last thing. Though the BCM was admitted late for the APA SOP book and its not in there, doesn't mean the American SOP is separate. They are the same thing. I keep the SOP that I have inside my book. They approved the SOP and that is what the judges go off of. Also in the APA book under cutting for defects applies to the BC as well. These things are not listed on the BC SOP because it talks about the BC but we use it. If the BC SOP states 10% ( I will check) than that's what the APA has approved. It would also be in the book if they were to revise and reprint it.

One last thing. Though the BCM was admitted late for the APA SOP book and its not in there, doesn't mean the American SOP is separate. They are the same thing. I keep the SOP that I have inside my book. They approved the SOP and that is what the judges go off of. Also in the APA book under cutting for defects applies to the BC as well. These things are not listed on the BC SOP because it talks about the BC but we use it. If the BC SOP states 10% ( I will check) than that's what the APA has approved. It would also be in the book if they were to revise and reprint it.

The BC SOP states a few Copper spots. It doesn't state 10%. But again it doesn't mean a lot. And again the BC SOP is part of the APA SOP.

Wynette, I have been thinking about your question to me: why do I feel like its a challenge to raise for sop and the homestead? I think I have a few answers. First, let me acknowledge that culling for sop works to give you birds to eat, but the output for the amount of meat to eat is where I get stuck. These birds are big boned but not big in meat output. I don't say this as someone who hasn't raised birds of a variety for meat, or who doesn't know that frankenbirds are not what I should expect of all birds. I find myself wondering if these birds are really just for their eggs and prestige? I am not poopooing them, just asking because they don't seem very 'meaty.'

I think the trouble here is non-quantitative adjectives like "parsimonious..." Open to interpretation.
Please elaborate! Parsimonious means frugal. Or do you mean persimmon which means red-orange. Thats the thing we see here a lot. People when they want to learn and ask questions we complicate things. Most of this info (unless your talking genetics) self explanatory. There are a lot of instances, examples and references to the shape and colors that make it easier to explain the proper standards.

Last edited:
Please elaborate! Parsimonious means frugal. Or do you mean persimmon which means red-orange. Thats the thing we see here a lot. People when they want to learn and ask questions we complicate things. Most of this info (unless your talking genetics) self explanatory. There are a lot of instances, examples and references to the shape and colors that make it easier to explain the proper standards.
Hi,
This is what they mean. Parsimonious means frugal. In other words , a small ( frugal) scattering of copper in the breast. Not enough to be visually or genetically objectionable. Less than 10% . All of these things go into interpreting the word "Parsimonious" as applied to copper feathering in the breast of the BCM.
Best,
Karen
in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Hi,
This is what they mean. Parsimonious means frugal. In other words , a small ( frugal) scattering of copper in the breast. Not enough to be visually or genetically objectionable. Less than 10% . All of these things go into interpreting the word "Parsimonious" as applied to copper feathering in the breast of the BCM.
Best,
Karen
in western PA, USA
Did we all just get warped into a English lesson?
gig.gif

Hi,
Best,
Karen
in western PA, USA
Thank you for helping clear that up. I"m not sure I will ever get any boys that have totally black breast that also have enough copper along the back.....

my hubby is impressed that I am learning new vocabulary words,him too and he scored on a GT test 137 and he would have had to look that up.

I love chicken people!!!!

Back
Top Bottom