Black Copper Marans discussion thread

It has always been my mind set that these Black chicks will have a lot of Mossiness going on. I like them to have the Penguin look as chicks. Don
Don, i hatched out 8 little peddler chicks in December and have found NO mossiness whatsoever in any of them. The black is by far the blackest of ant BCMs I ve hatched including the fluff. The pullets all have some copper in the hackles except 1 which is totally black. One has real nice copper and the other 4 are more melanized. The two cockerels have excellent copper hackles and overall color balance. Shank color is very slate with little to no pink showing through. No white feathers on any. These birds are not perfect but for feather color and balance they are by far the best BCMs I've owned. Egg color.... For the most part a bit disappinting but do have a nice satin finish. Not sure all have layed yet but some are producing 4-5 on the scale. I have had a few in the 7-8 range but the best egg color I am seeing is 6-7 from 2 birds. Eye color is very good and shank feathering is variable within the range

Thanks for this update. I'm hoping for at least some good pullets. I'm hoping that egg color is at least a 4-5....

Growing out the boys will be another story I'm surr but looking forward to it. More chicks next week and thats it for the year.

Here is a poor pic of the pullet with the most copper. The sheen is mostly green but for some reason it looks blue with this camera....

I wanted to post an updated pic or my BCM Capt K'nuckles. He's only about 5 months old but I'm happy with his tail setting, back length, and width (not shown).

He has feathered shanks, but the RSLs picked them off when he was younger. I hope he get's them back with a molt or adult feathering. Faults: eye color is not quite light enough, but could still grow into it. Comb has the slight S curve in the front. Chest has some color to it with barring in the breast feathers. Hoping his breast and backside fill in a bit.

Last edited:
Hi there BCM lovers! I'm new to the breed, and just thought I'd get some opinions on my rooster. He is 14 weeks old, and he has such a mild mannered temperament. I know this will seem silly to most, but yes, he is on a leash. He is my favorite chicken in the flock and I often carry him around the yard while I play with the dogs. We recently decided to try leash training him so he could become 'part of the pack' and hang out in the yard all the time. Anyway, please forgive the leash and harness in the pics. I'm just curious how you all think he's feathering out? I personally think he's beautiful, but again, this is my first experience with this breed. He does have kind of a silly looking comb, not sure if that's an issue. In any case, it's just for my own interest in learning, I'm not a breeder. If I do hatch out any chicks from him they will be for my own personal use for eggs and meat, not to sell, so I'm not worried about any 'flaws' he might have. Just interested in learning more about the breed (I also have four pullets the same age, will post pictures of them another time).
Also, what is a typical size for a BCM rooster this age? He is twice the size of my Welsummer roo, and they were hatched the same day. Is my Welsummer just a little fella, or is this guy huge? (The last three pics show him in comparison to the little roo. They aren't great quality because of the harsh sunlight at the time, but it will give you an idea. The welsummer is the same size as all the pullets, and they are all the same age at 14 weeks.)

Does anyone have any comments about my boy? My pics have kind of gotten buried a few pages back over the past couple days, with no replies so far. I'm not into showing or breeding, just interested in learning about this lovely breed.

Does anyone have any comments about my boy? My pics have kind of gotten buried a few pages back over the past couple days, with no replies so far. I'm not into showing or breeding, just interested in learning about this lovely breed.
I'm just a novice starting this year so I can't give you too much feedback, but I can tell you what I did to really learn about this breed. Read the standards info on this site: http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/ And if you will read this whole thread from the beginning you will be more knowledgable than 90% of Marans owners. IMHO

The other option is to read the first 50 pages and then the last 300 of this thread. That would give you a solid understanding and you could really start appreciating the breed.

Last edited:

I'm just a novice starting this year so I can't give you too much feedback, but I can tell you what I did to really learn about this breed. Read the standards info on this site: http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/ And if you will read this whole thread from the beginning you will be more knowledgable than 90% of Marans owners. IMHO

The other option is to read the first 50 pages and then the last 300 of this thread. That would give you a solid understanding and you could really start appreciating the breed.
SideWing and I have also learned that this is a tough thread. There are some serious breeders on here that will point out every fault in your bird if you ask. That's a good thing if you are wanting to breed to improve, but can be a little hard to hear if you don't have a thick skin. Like sidewing said, the first 50 pages of this thread are great. It gives you an understanding and respect for the work that breeders have put into these birds. This thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/383387/marans-thread-breed-discussion-pictures-are-welcome may get you a few more responses

I am like you, trying to learn about the breed. He does have copper leakage which makes him a cull for most breeders. I like your harness!;)

So disappointed right now :/ my young black copper pullet that I had such high hopes for has side sprigs on her comb :( she hatched from such a beautiful dark egg (darker than any of my own Marans lay), has awesome leg color and feathered shanks. How likely are those side sprigs to pass on if I breed her for her other qualities? I butchered one of the best looking roos of the bunch I had because he had a side sprig. The one I have now does not have any.

hi i need some opinions on my new hen and rooster we just bought them ....here are some pictures
(they are still scared and its very hot today so the pictures are not that good sorry )

this is my new pullet

the new pullet is in the back the one on the front is my old hen

roo+pullet

what do you think ?
i cant help but notice how big the pullet is compared to the hen can you see the size difference ?
the pullet is taller/higher and overall larger than the hen is that normal ?

can each hen be different ?

Back
Top Bottom