Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I purchased some black copper maran eggs for hatching from a somewhat local woman. Should be hatching next weekend. I don't know if she is a member of BYC but I would like to thank her anyway. She sent me pics of the hen and roo they came from. My son picked them up so I didn't get to see them first hand but he did. She even gave him a black copper maran cockeral. Looking forward to hatch time. I would like to mix with an EE I have for possibly an olive-egger.

Don you are so right you always have a clear insight into this birds. Take a look at this hen she has a very large comb and wallets and tried to crow what do you think.

I thank she may have a little male in her.

I have 4 black copper maran girls and a bcm roo. I'm looking for breeder quality eggs, chicks or pairs. I figured if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be you guys.

We have some French cooper marans roosters for sale. Asking what we paid for $20 each. They are handsome
but we have to many from a straight run.

If you have Easter eggers or Auracaunas I believe they will make olive eggers if you breed them.

Let me know if interested they are around 7.5 - 8 weeks old we are located in NC

Don you are so right you always have a clear insight into this birds. Take a look at this hen she has a very large comb and wallets and tried to crow what do you think.

I thank she may have a little male in her.

Yes, this is a female, Some of them just have a large Comb and large wattles also, only thing I see wrong is the tail is a little high if you are going for the SOP. Don

Well I got myself 3 outcross BC cockerels from a friend of mine. This is the best of them. He is very black. Not alot of copper yet. And his comb is kind of underdeveloped. He came from a very dark egg. I am going to save one of my own cockerels, as well as this fellow and my adult rooster who is under the protection of my wife. I now have 25 hens so I will be needing a few roosters. I am hoping to get rid of the recurring stray white feather in my roos, as well as the continuing process of get​

ing darker eggs which is beginning to bear fruit. Any inputs on this bird please?

this second bird is one from my own line. He has a floppy comb and more color but his breast is black with a few red flecks. I will likely keep him as well.

Any inputs please​

Last edited:
Are black copper marans slow to mature. I bought some that were said to be 5 weeks old. That was 3 weeks ago so now they should be 8 weeks . They still aren't completely feathered out and they seem to have only slightly grown a little bigger. I bought amercaunas at 6 weeks old that were about twice the size as these guys that were fully feathered. Is it just the difference in breed ?

Are black copper marans slow to mature. I bought some that were said to be 5 weeks old. That was 3 weeks ago so now they should be 8 weeks . They still aren't completely feathered out and they seem to have only slightly grown a little bigger. I bought amercaunas at 6 weeks old that were about twice the size as these guys that were fully feathered. Is it just the difference in breed ?
Maybe it's the strain? I have heard some folks say they dwarf their other chicks growing up. I have only had one batch so far so I'm not sure.

Maybe it's the strain? I have heard some folks say they dwarf their other chicks growing up. I have only had one batch so far so I'm not sure.

Maybe that's it? I'm also Im in texas in the middle of a 106 degree heat wave, I keep them in the shade and bring them frozen treats and frozen jugs of water throughout the day but maybe the heat is stalling their growth? It probably doesn't even works like that, I'm just surprised they still have patches of missing feathers and still have fuzzy necks as old as they are. Maybe my breeder was confused on their age? They are sweet though. little chicks just keep me worried , so fragile, I relax so much when they get bigger and feathered...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom