Black Copper Marans discussion thread

14 of 15 survived the trip
big_smile.png

First impressions, Don?

SC, post another picture in 10 days and will comment on them at that time.

SC, Be careful of what you ask for. If anyone decides to buy chicks or eggs in the future go to Brian Parks on Marans Fanciers on FB.

Don, I actually contacted Brian. After reading reviews and speaking with actual customers, I had it narrowed down to Brian and Julie. Honestly, I went with Julie because she was on the east coast. Brian was very nice, and very helpful, I just went with the shorter shipping distance.
SC, post another picture in 10 days and will comment on them at that time.
Will do
thumbsup.gif

Your rooster is the one I really want to see. Are your pullets laying yet? The ones I hatched a few weeks before yours aren't
Mine hatched on 8/16 only about 4 and a half months old. And many of those months were cold and made for slower growing. I'm not expecting to see any eggs until 7 months, maybe mid April?

I think this is the guy here. It was snowing at the time I took this very bad pic. There is no white on him, but the snowflakes falling make it look like white spots.

His legs are nicely feathered, but the winters here in the Rocky Mountains are hard on them. I also have him running with sexlinks and they like to take leg feathers. This was taken a month ago so he's about 3 months old in it he's filling out nicely now.

Mine hatched on 8/16 only about 4 and a half months old. And many of those months were cold and made for slower growing. I'm not expecting to see any eggs until 7 months, maybe mid April? I think this is the guy here. It was snowing at the time I took this very bad pic. There is no white on him, but the snowflakes falling make it look like white spots. His legs are nicely feathered, but the winters here in the Rocky Mountains are hard on them. I also have him running with sexlinks and they like to take leg feathers. This was taken a month ago so he's about 3 months old in it he's filling out nicely now.
I'm curious to see what Don says, but he is way better than Tate

I'm curious to see what Don says, but he is way better than Tate
He also has a little blood spot on his comb in the pic. There are no sprigs or anything strange on the comb. He had 6 brothers with him at the time. We culled that day and he's the only rooster in the henhouse now.

Quote:

Don he's about 3 months old in that pic. I would love your honest opinion. What think ye?
Sid, It is really hard to evaluate young fowl at this age. In real life does his back rise before the tail? His color has most likely got better with the amount of time since the picture. What line his this young male ? I would rather his legs be a little darker though. I like the BC to have medium to dark slate legs.

Sid, It is really hard to evaluate young fowl at this age. In real life does his back rise before the tail? His color has most likely got better with the amount of time since the picture. What line his this young male ? I would rather his legs be a little darker though. I like the BC to have medium to dark slate legs.
I will have to have a look at his tail again and see. His color has gotten better even in the last month for sure. He is from the Bev Davis line.

@Chooks man

Rooster 1:

Rooster 1:

Rooster 1:

Cockerel 1:

Cockerel 1:

Cockerel 2:

Cockerel 2:

Cockerel 3:

Cockerel 3:

Cockerel 3:

Cockerel 1 and 2 are brothers, but unrelated to Rooster 1. Cockerel 3 is an F1, and therefore brother to all my current pullets. Must I remove the pure BCMs from my current F1 pullet flock during this next generation?

Back
Top Bottom