Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Trying to get some discussion going . Not much happening here lately??? Is this the dreaded carnation comb? Pene influence, absolute must cull !!! Thoughts?

Yes, This is Coronation Comb, unfortunately. Carnation comb is not the actual name of the abnormal comb. Side sprigs are not the same thing... just differing mutations on the same allele.

He would be culled here. Also, the parents would be split up, with differing partners to try to find a mate without the opposing abnormal comb gene (Could be the same gene, then not express in the young) or ideally if you can find them- neither gene. Ideally, but, realistically difficult to find lines that do not carry at least one side of the genes.

Here is a really good article on Coronation Comb and side sprigs.
http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/files/Abnormal_Combs_Article.pdf

Some people believe that Penedesencas were bred in to Marans at some point long ago, in an attempt to darken the egg color. Could be the case- there hasn't been a lot of research so no one knows for sure.

However, I have had Coronation Comb and side sprigs randomly show up in tiny, white egg laying OEGB (originally from breeders coming from the opposites ends of the US) that there were no known Penedesencas for 7 gens on either side. Also, single side sprigs show up in most other breeds as well. I believe there may be some other allele(s) or sequencing at play.

Yes, This is Coronation Comb, unfortunately. Carnation comb is not the actual name of the abnormal comb. Side sprigs are not the same thing... just differing mutations on the same allele.

He would be culled here. Also, the parents would be split up, with differing partners to try to find a mate without the opposing abnormal comb gene (Could be the same gene, then not express in the young) or ideally if you can find them- neither gene. Ideally, but, realistically difficult to find lines that do not carry at least one side of the genes.

Here is a really good article on Coronation Comb and side sprigs.
http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/files/Abnormal_Combs_Article.pdf

Some people believe that Penedesencas were bred in to Marans at some point long ago, in an attempt to darken the egg color. Could be the case- there hasn't been a lot of research so no one knows for sure.

However, I have had Coronation Comb and side sprigs randomly show up in tiny, white egg laying OEGB (originally from breeders coming from the opposites ends of the US) that there were no known Penedesencas for 7 gens on either side. Also, single side sprigs show up in most other breeds as well. I believe there may be some other allele(s) or sequencing at play.

You are certain the term is "Coronation Comb"? The article you referenced stated "Carnation Comb" and that's the term I've always seen associated with the Penedesenca comb?

You are certain the term is "Coronation Comb"? The article you referenced stated "Carnation Comb" and that's the term I've always seen associated with the Penedesenca comb?

Yes, certain. Show Judge Brian Decker straightened me out on Carnation Comb as well. lol You will see it mentioned more about Penedesenca combs. The person who wrote that article was a newer breeder at that time.

Here is a really good snippet about Coronation combs

https://books.google.com/books?id=l...onepage&q=Coronation Comb on chickens&f=false

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom