Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I know it's a little early to sex my chick, but can anyone else post pictures of a 4-5 week old?
I can't wait any longer! 155795163860662512713.jpg

Does anyone have any photos of what a cross of a easter egger and a BCM would be? My BCM roo has been loving on my EE's and one just went broody!

I have 3 homegrown F1 Olive eggers right now. About 8 weeks old. The mother is a cream colored hen that lays a blue egg. She is a Polish-Easter Egger cross. Father was a beautiful BCM. I can post some pics later today if you like.

I have a question. At what age do they get their reddish bay eyes? Thank you

That's something I'm working on with my birds. Very dark eyes stay dark unfortunately. But olive colored eyes change to orange. I remember it happening very slowly. Starting around 2 months and finished by 5-6 months. Hopefully someone more experienced will speak up and correct me if I'm wrong.

I was sold two black copper marans but looking at both of mine I'm seeing some inconsistencies. To me my rooster, Ozzy, has BEAUTIFUL color developing. However the hackle feathers are more of a straw color and his saddle feathers coming in are not the reddish copper color. My pullet, Sharon, has no copper color coming through yet and her feathers seem to have a dark grey tint with black at the ends.

If I breed them do I still sell them as black copper marans? I don't want people to think they are getting one thing and get another. They are both right at 18 weeks.

Here is Ozzy and SHARON!
20200724_182724.jpg
20200709_101738.jpg

I am sorry to say that neither is a pure BCM. Ozzy looks to be a Silver Black (Birchen) Marans with gold leakage. IMO Ozzy is not a breeder. Silver and Gold genes do not mix well in the breeding pen.

Sharon looks to be a Blue Marans (solid blue variety) or a Blue Cooper Marans that is not expressing any copper in her hackles. If Sharon is from the same breeder then I would suspect that she is of mixed Marans variety too.

I cannot tell from the pics but does either bird have feathered legs? If not then they may not be pure Marans at all.

If you just want pet chickens then they are fine but should not be breed or advertised as purebred Marans.

Sorry to the bearer of bad news.
Keith

I am sorry to say that neither is a pure BCM. Ozzy looks to be a Silver Black (Birchen) Marans with gold leakage. IMO Ozzy is not a breeder. Silver and Gold genes do not mix well in the breeding pen.

Sharon looks to be a Blue Marans (solid blue variety) or a Blue Cooper Marans that is not expressing any copper in her hackles. If Sharon is from the same breeder then I would suspect that she is of mixed Marans variety too.

I cannot tell from the pics but does either bird have feathered legs? If not then they may not be pure Marans at all.

If you just want pet chickens then they are fine but should not be breed or advertised as purebred Marans.

Sorry to the bearer of bad news.
Keith

Thank you, that is what I needed to know. Sharon does have feathered legs. I will wait a few years and start with new Marans. I love these two too much to do that now. Will he still be good to make olive eggers?

Thank you, that is what I needed to know. Sharon does have feathered legs. I will wait a few years and start with new Marans. I love these two too much to do that now. Will he still be good to make olive eggers?

Yes, both Ozzy and Sharon would work fine in an OE Pen. If you ever want to seriously breed Marans I would suggest joining on the Marans Clubs in the US - thwy both have Breeder Directories so you may find someone in your area.

Take Care,
Keith

Back
Top Bottom