Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote:
I too have some "dummies" that refuse to use the roosts & sit on the floor................... Hey I found a good cure for a tailset that is too high......................... A good rain downpour.........Hahaha!!!!! No kidding I had to go out in this awful rain & the rooster's bright colors were much calmer & their tails were many degrees lower......LOL

Quote:
whispers repeated

LOOK
searchingwithshippirate.gif
for Speckled Sussex and Delawares
searchingwithshippirate.gif

whispers Again

Get Contact Information for your dear friend - - MATH ACE
love.gif

So, is anyone doing updated pictures for our 6 month study? I think all mine are starting to develope pink combs and wattles. I will be taking the third set of photos this weekend. It is TRULY amazing the changes I am observing through the photos that I would of otherwised never acknowledged
thumbsup.gif

we will have a young 7-8 mo. Marans Blue Copper rooster for sale at Newnan this weekend $25 (mydarkeggs.com bloodline Tom Culpepper-direct) very nice rooster $25

It appears I am being gifted some FBCM eggs. I know nothing about the breed. Any help will be much appreciated. I'll post when they arrive and take pics.........

flgardengirl... I am in need of a few Silver Birchen hens. Please, please, please, if any are present, get some good pictures and contact info. According to several articles and some broken French/English (would that be Frenglish?) emails, this is the best variety to use to darken the eggs of my Whites.

Grateful to you for looking for me!

So I was fortunate to find a local breeder that has some really nice Bev Davis BCMs. While I was picking up some newly hatched chicks he had 3 that he said he was going to cull because they had way to much copper. They did look very different from the normal BCM chicks but I was wondering if this was common and what they'd grow up to look like. Since I'm not breeding them (I can't keep a rooster where I live) I decided to take them home.

77655_img_1097.jpg

77655_img_1103.jpg

Those chicks are carrying something extra. That's not normal Black Copper chickdown. Not a trace of cream or white, and no pink at all on the feet, superdark combs.
I've had some crosses that hatch out that color, out of Buff Orpington. There is a gene called Db that expresses as dark brown chick down like that, but I've never seen it in Black Coppers... All my dark ones like that feathered out buff with some darker areas. It will be interesting to see how they feather out. Keep us posted.

I would say almost 100% that they will not end up Black Copper Marans with too much copper. We are still trying to figure out if there is any correlation between chickdown and level of adult copper. Geebs and Math are recording this at the time. My untested opinion is that there is no correlation at all.

I think something snuck into the Marans coop.

UPDATED BABY PICS!
Here are their 4 week old photos. Anyone have any commentary or observations about them? {geebs, where've you been?!}
Anyone care to take a stab at their genders now? It's becoming plainly apparent even for me (I think?!). <BTW Pink: #2 and 5 were roos.>

BAND #1
43104_2-18-11_band1_4wks_1.jpg

43104_2-18-11_band1_4wks_3.jpg

BAND#3
43104_2-18-11_band3_4wks_1.jpg

43104_2-18-11_band3_4wks_3.jpg

BAND #4
43104_2-18-11_band4_4wks_3.jpg

43104_2-18-11_band4_4wks_2.jpg

BAND #8
43104_2-18-11_band8_3wks_3.jpg

43104_2-18-11_band8_3wks_7.jpg