Black Copper Marans discussion thread

While we're waiting to hear back from the breeder, here's some more pics of Sherman the roo. He's grown in the last week!

IMG_20110226_144936.jpg

IMG_20110226_144923.jpg

His saddle is starting to come in. DH took the photo but the angle was wrong to capture it. Also, his legs and feet are HUGE.

I would be sorry to cull this guy. I think he's great.

For those who asked, here's an update on my "brown" copper marans. They both parents are normal looking black copper marans so these guys must have some kind of recessive gene. Post 836 has the pictures from 1 week old, these are at 2 weeks:

77655_img_1109.jpg

77655_img_1119.jpg

77655_img_1110.jpg

77655_img_1112.jpg

Here are my 4 week old BCM I think I have two pullets and two cockerel, what makes me unsure is that one of the cockerel's is huge compared to the other. The smaller of the two is smaller than either of the pullets as well. Here they are let me know what you think.

Bird 1 "pullet"
77655_img_1122.jpg

Bird 2 "pullet"
77655_img_1139.jpg

Bird 3 "cockerel"
77655_img_1147.jpg

Bird 3&4 both cockerels I think, you can see the size difference.
77655_img_1160.jpg

77655_img_1157.jpg

3 and 4 are looking like cockerels. . .

The size difference does happen. Genetics are part of that. Sometimes it is just the bird's personality that makes it last to the food bowl. Others go to sleep eating . . .
smile.png

Torghn,
Thanks for the update. It can't be certain what causes lower levels of melanin in the feathers exactly, but there is a gene Melanotic that must be present for the bird to resemble a black copper. Otherwise they look like very dark brown leghorns. It's not been proven whether or not it is ideal in single dose (heterozygous) or double dose (homozygous) but I suspect that someone trying to breed a well coppered rooster with a well coppered hen paired up two birds that are heterozygous for Melanotic. The result would be one fourth of the birds get a double dose, half get a single dose, and one fourth get none. I believe your birds are what they look like when Melanotic is missing completely.

There are other melanizers involved in BCM too, so it could be something else, or a recessive melanizer inhibitor.

Quote:
How discouraging for you Sab,
I had an incident recently with what looks to be the same respiratory problem & was able to save a SQ young grown bird. I was told by an experience bird breeder to get Tylan 200 & give a .5cc injection in the meating part of the breast done shallow at an angle & do this 3 days in a row. It saved my bird. The first bird that got it I didn't have that information & was told to isolate her because it is highly contagious & get eye antibiotic gel & put antibiotics in her water. I did all of that & she went off her feed & died anyway. When the second one came up with it I did not isolate him but did the injections as told & he cleared up & has been fine since. So sorry for your problem....I was totally bummed & sympathize with you. I rely so heavily at this poinr on those that know so much more than I so I just ask for help & do what they say.
Karen in California

Quote:
How discouraging for you Sab,
I had an incident recently with what looks to be the same respiratory problem & was able to save a SQ young grown bird. I was told by an experience bird breeder to get Tylan 200 & give a .5cc injection in the meating part of the breast done shallow at an angle & do this 3 days in a row. It saved my bird. The first bird that got it I didn't have that information & was told to isolate her because it is highly contagious & get eye antibiotic gel & put antibiotics in her water. I did all of that & she went off her feed & died anyway. When the second one came up with it I did not isolate him but did the injections as told & he cleared up & has been fine since. So sorry for your problem....I was totally bummed & sympathize with you. I rely so heavily at this poinr on those that know so much more than I so I just ask for help & do what they say.
Karen in California

I need to add that I did not isolate the second bird from the other bird but that whole trio was ,& had always been isolated from the rest of my birds. They live in their own pen away from my regular birds. These are my grand daughters 4H birds.

Quote:
Hi Sabella!
Sherman is a nice looking little guy. Is he the one that you thought was too heavily feather shanked? When I looked at the pictures on your other thread I did not notice any of them with too heavily feathered shanks, or am I just not seeing what you are seeing?

How are the chicks doing today?

Back
Top Bottom