Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Sue, my lone pullet from you that I have from last year is producing mostly girls, out of about 40 chicks (several different hatches) she has given me about 30 girlies.......... Her boyfriend was a Craigslist special, supposedly Davis line. Here she is, my little butterball with her mate and one of their little girls:

At least she is making up for last years boys! I have so many cockerels, all I see are red combs walking around...LOL

Hey Sue. The marans chicks I got from you are doing great! Just wondering about sexing them based on tail feathers. They are about 2-3 weeks so the tail feathers are coming in now on two of the BCM. One has vertical tail feathers (roo?) and the other has horizontal fanned out tail feathers (hen?). Just curious if it's possible to tell this early.

Hey Sue. The marans chicks I got from you are doing great! Just wondering about sexing them based on tail feathers. They are about 2-3 weeks so the tail feathers are coming in now on two of the BCM. One has vertical tail feathers (roo?) and the other has horizontal fanned out tail feathers (hen?). Just curious if it's possible to tell this early.
I haven't found tails to be an accurate sexing method. What I've used occasionally, and usually at just a few days old when they are little, p icking them up by the nape of the neck. The boys will struggle for a long time, while the girls seem to give up & just hang quietly sooner. Other than that, waiting for comb & wattles is the only sure way to tell.

It sounds like I just have to wait and be patient. I'm like a kid at Christmas time. I can't wait!

X 2 I have way too many chicks and when people want to buy they all want pullets. I look in the pen and think I can tell some girls, I tag them and then the more I stare at them the more confused I get - they all start to look like roos
barnie.gif

X 2 I have way too many chicks and when people want to buy they all want pullets. I look in the pen and think I can tell some girls, I tag them and then the more I stare at them the more confused I get - they all start to look like roos
barnie.gif
That is so true! Also why I usually don't sell pullets, just straight run chicks. Also because I don't want to have to feed them for long....LOL

I wanted to cull, and a raccoon must have heard my thoughts, cause I"ve had some killed this past week....not the type of culling I was planning on though. I've tried with a trap, but only caught my cat! Bad Kitty!!!

So, today, I'm electrifying my whole chain link perimeter fence....take that you *%+&# raccoon!

Sue, that's are really good option to try. Sometimes deterents are the simpliest answer. Oddly we have only an occassional problem. I mostly use the deterents like big dogs and fencing. A mare that hates all dogs and coyotes helps too! LOL

Hope you get your coon problem solved asap. Sorry you lost so many chickens.

I have been in here a few times but have to admit I am pretty new to owning this breed-- THANK YOU blackbirds13!!! I love them. I didn't mind taking roos. I still don't. If they grow up enough to get personalities I like I can keep them. If they grow up not to, well, they taste like chicken to me!
lol.png

So, this is what I want to know: where do I find the standards for these birds WITHOUT spending 75$ on a book that will be changed and reprinted in six months??
In looking at these little cuties, some have much more black in their faces, other more of a lav color. The kids call one Skeletor!
What, if anything, does this indicate?
Can anyone recommend a breeder site?

Back
Top Bottom