Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Color question...

I've got a couple of 18 week old cockerels with a white white feather tip or two. The color on one is especially pretty, regardless of whether he's breed standard. I have cuckoo pullets as well, one of which had a white feather that has since fallen out and been replaced. Do the white feathers come back? I can't imagine why they would be culled if growing catches up with the melanizers.

Also, we're wanting to downsize by at least one rooster, I'd like to grow him out for a couple more weeks before eating- DH would like to sell him as he's not too big yet & crowding our space. Not to mention he eats like a pig. How long do you grow out your roosters and what do you think of their taste? We had our first culling experience with our barred rock a month ago and he didn't turn out very tasty... Kinda gamey and stringy, not what we expected from a 12 week old. But- this is our first time and homegrown free ranged BR is sure to taste different than a caged CX.

Color question...
I've got a couple of 18 week old cockerels with a white white feather tip or two. The color on one is especially pretty, regardless of whether he's breed standard. I have cuckoo pullets as well, one of which had a white feather that has since fallen out and been replaced. Do the white feathers come back? I can't imagine why they would be culled if growing catches up with the melanizers.
Also, we're wanting to downsize by at least one rooster, I'd like to grow him out for a couple more weeks before eating- DH would like to sell him as he's not too big yet & crowding our space. Not to mention he eats like a pig. How long do you grow out your roosters and what do you think of their taste? We had our first culling experience with our barred rock a month ago and he didn't turn out very tasty... Kinda gamey and stringy, not what we expected from a 12 week old. But- this is our first time and homegrown free ranged BR is sure to taste different than a caged CX.
You can not tell anything about feather quality until after the Juve molt at 4-5 months old. On some the feathers will molt out and not come back with white. I have always culled after the Juve molt, some wait longer but I have found it to be a waste of time and feed.

There always seem to be far more reasons to cull than not to cull which can get SO discouraging for those of us hatching on a small scale. (Not so much complaining as just sayin' ... )

<sigh>

I make you lunch if you come to California to pick up my roos!

I DO have family over there.... :)

Still on the hunt for a good roo to replace mine. There was one posted on CL in NH the other day. Much closer. Now to get the car fixed and gas in it! There is always something in the way. I am just loving these girls. I am hoping they turn out nice and big. One is growing a few feather sprigs between her toes, very downy, but with only the two now I can't cull her. Everything else seems great. I'll get pics soon.

I just picked up 13 two month old fbcm's for forty dollars. two out of the thirteen look really good good colors feathered feet. the others must be cockerels the poor homely things. glad I found this thread to see what they as suppose to look like.

I'm still looking for a top quality, BCM cockerel with great color, deep wide body, proper tail set, correct comb, eye color......in Oregon, willing to pay for shipping but pics must be good ones first!

I'm still looking for a top quality, BCM cockerel with great color, deep wide body, proper tail set, correct comb, eye color......in Oregon, willing to pay for shipping but pics must be good ones first!
Not to bash you, but it sounds like your looking for a perfect Marans. You will not find them. I was in search for the best too but found that it doesnt exist. Good yes, but you will get quite a bit of faults no matter who you go with. If you get Marans you have to make a decision to sweat a bit trying to perfect them. Not to mention the reward you get in return to see your hard work pay off. Very fun. Again I mean no disrespect.

Last edited:
I've been working at it for several years now, have wasted money on birds from supposedly *top breeders* and wound up with dog food birds.

I have gone through probably 6 generations already and this last batch, have some hopefuls but of course, won't know much until they are grown up etc., and producing.

Back
Top Bottom