Black Copper Marans from a hatchery

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about the Black Copper Marans sold by Meyer Hatchery? We are looking for "decent" marans (not for show) but not having much luck anywhere else.

idunno.gif

We know a little bit about them
lau.gif

Check out our website at www.meyerhatchery.com you can see the breeder brids there now and very shortly, you'll be able to see the chicks we hatched and eggs from our stock. The photos on our website are shots of our hens and roosters as well as chicks and eggs. What you see is what you get.

We are currently resizing images for the site. So, check back soon for the full gallery for our Marans.

I would imagine the eggs would not be as dark but then, I can't really say. This may be the first year they have offered them so no one may have an idea yet.
I know some of my girls are laying an 8 with 7 being the normal for my flock. I would expect a hatchery bird to lay lighter but it would be great if you got some that could give you darker egg color.

The cuckoos I got from Meyer a few years ago are still here and doing well. They are good layers but the egg color is not a dark brown.

Unsolicited plug: I bought 14 chicks from Meyer in June (no Marans, so I can't speak to the specific breed). Only one of my chicks (the impulse buy "bargain bin" chick we picked out while we were there) died, and that was several days after they came home. The others are all great birds. I was really happy with them--I'm getting ready to place another order for spring chicks from them.

I can't speak to the quality of the Marans, but I definitely felt good about the hatchery.

I'm not an expert and I know you mentioned you're not necessarily interested in showing them, but that picture of the BCMs seemed to show a lot of copper in the hen. Have you tried looking at the Marans thread on this site? Lots of those people offer birds and eggs. Also, try Craigslist. I ended up hatching eggs from Maryland's "peachick" and Florida's "Greenfire Farms," for my Marans. My first three birds are from a different hatchery but once I started to get into chickens, I decided to order hatching eggs from breeders directly and I am really pleased with breeders' birds. It wasn't hard to find homes for the cockerels even in Los Angeles, and I even got paid for the males. I'm trying to find homes for 2 of my 3 hatchery hens. My chickens are just for fun but it's nice to get hens that look wonderful and lay beautifully dark eggs.

Quote:
Meyer... Thanks for the response. How long have you been selling the BCMs?

Also, a question of curiosity... if we order different breeds in one shipment, are they marked in any way so that we know what is what?

Back
Top Bottom