Black Copper Marans from a hatchery

Quote:
Of course not. You don't have to sign up for anything. You can browse any of our poultry or products without creating an account!

Can you tell what what color the wing triangle (mirror) is on the rooster you have pictured? Hard to tell in the pics as he is hidden behind the hen, but that rooster looks more like a Wheaten Marans than a Black Copper. Many have in the past, made that mistake. What color are the chicks?

Guess Who Want Less??
tongue2.gif

I did a lot of baby chick pic comparing when I bought my first batch to figure out who was who-- and I GOT IT RIGHT!!
wee.gif

However, its not big of a deal to figure it out at first when the order is all yours. When we split the batch we might end up raising each others' babies
hit.gif

I'm only ordering four. One I know one will be the BCM and one an EE. I'm still researching the others, but I think one might be a Delaware. Still contemplating a Roo.

We will get this BCM issue straight!! Did you read the description that my pet chicken has?

Not sure about their Marans. I am familiar with Meyer Black Jersey Giants.
This fella is a late summer 2008 hatch. That was when I first got into chickens. This Meyer Black Jersey Giant finished out near 8 lbs. Did use him in a few breedings. Had two offspring who turned out looking like EE's.
I am not sure what is in him. I did find him a good home with my EE flock of girls here in Indy with a nice lady who just wanted pretty blue eggs. She did give him a nice home.
366538355.jpg

Look at the back and tail on that guy.
sickbyc.gif
8 lbs. . . Hmm. . . . That's as bad as my 5 lb Brahmas.
gig.gif

But, I've had my share on talking down hatchery quality Marans, I'd just want to ask two things -

One: Does anyone here think, that even if hatcheries give good color of eggs in their BCM's, that it will stay that way or get better through the years?

Two: Umm, seriously, what is so wrong with getting from a breeder? Because a hatchery has them now, big whoop. . . There are a lot of dedicated breeders out there, and you'll be surprised at how many of them are within driving distance.
wink.png

If you think about it, people go to hatcheries because they just want eggs, not a pretty/show quality bird. But with Marans, you're not going to get the pretty egg OR the pretty bird. If they can ruin Cuckoos, Welsummers, and Penedesencas. . . . What's stopping them with the famous Black Coppers? They already don't lay much, so hatcheries are naturally going to step in and try and heighten the egg production to get more sales. . . . And we all know that means sacrificing egg color.

Oookay so maybe I spoke a little more than I thought I would, but really, it is an interesting matter to me.

that picture of the BCMs seemed to show a lot of copper in the hen.

Correct, she has far too much colour, the copper should be restricted to the neck hackle only.

Can you tell what what color the wing triangle (mirror) is on the rooster you have pictured? Hard to tell in the pics as he is hidden behind the hen, but that rooster looks more like a Wheaten Marans than a Black Copper. Many have in the past, made that mistake.

I don't think he is a Wheaten as he has black in his neck hackle. Just a poor, far too yellow bird.
These too mated together will produce birds that have far too much colour in both sexes.
No reason why they could not produce dark coloured eggs, & be good backyard fowl.​

Quote:
Hi,I see you are in NC.Have you checked out the Ag review?They have listings of poultry for sale or wanted.I'm not saying to not buy from Meyer's but I know there are ppl in NC that raise Marans and anytime you can buy with a chance to see the eggs and stock is better IMHO.Put an ad in the Ag review as to wanting Marans.It is a good shot.I live in NC and found my blue/bluecopper Marans on Craigs list.

There are many great hatcheries. Hoosier hatchery is where the secretary of the Central Indiana Show got her Buff Orps. And one of her culls won Reserve English at our Indiana State Fair. I think it is really hit and miss with many hatcheries. Some get too big to really manage them well. And you then see some mix bred birds being sold as purebreds. I am not the only one who had the same looking Black Jersey Giants here in Indy. Kat & Rob Schulz had a few. And still may. I am not sure. I am just happy to get this guy a home with some nice larger EE hens for him to make happy with a lady who is nice and seemed to be very excited about having him and his ladies.

Back
Top Bottom