Black Copper Marans (selling prices)

Litewings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Summerfield, NC
Does anyone know the fair value of black copper marans:

Eggs are about $60.00 a dozen I believe not including shipping.

Chicks: ?

Adult hens?

Adult roosters?

Anyone Know?

hu.gif

Litewings

I think chicks go for around $15 depending on quality and where you are. Adult roos go for $25-50 and people just don't seem to sell hens...lol.

I paid 90 plus shipping for a trio of 20 weeks old BCM's. And I paid 10 a chick for feather legged chicks from 8 shells. Just take a good hard look at the breeders selling, and the eggs, birds and chicks. Make sure they have a good rep there are a lot of people out there just trying to make a buck and they sell crap! And those people are everywhere.

Edited because I can't spell...

Last edited:
I'm in North Carolina

So....... $10.00 to $15.00 for chicks.

$25.00 to $50.00 for adult Roos and

Lord only knows how much for hens.

Are feathered legs more valuable? (I believe that they are part of the standard.)

Litewings

Last edited:
Quote:
There is no FAIR value for anything, it is what someone is willing to pay, If I ask a price and dont hold a gun to your head, and you accept my price then that is fair. Would it be fair to sell you something for 2X what I sell it to the next person, Yes it would, but you as a buyer may not think so. Is it gonna be fair when the gotta have that breed phase ends, and is replaced with a new gotta have breed, and those with last year(or weeks) model is left with something that they can not give away. YES that is fair too. It is a free and market, so unless you are being forced to pay more than you are willing then it is Fair.

I once had a Masterchief who always said "whoever told you liffe was gonna be fair was a Gosh Darn Liar" <<< edited so no one else had to, remember he was a sailor his whole life, do you really think he said gosh darn ?
duc.gif

i'm picking up some marans from a feed store (special order)

they dont know about the "maran hype".

so my chicks are $2.50 each

lol.png

The chicks from a feed store are Cuckoo Marans and they (I've never seen a dark hatchery cuckoo maran egg.) dont lay the deep dark eggs everyone is after with the Black Copper Marans eggs. Also it's a hatchery bird and those are cheaper than the quality stock you will find with a breeder that has spent years on breeding to the standard.
Just be aware of what your buying. I'm sure the birds are fine as layers. But dont expect those deep dark eggs from a hatchery bird, most dont lay any darker than say RIR's.

Last edited:
when you go to pick up your marans, reject any with yellow legs or feet, including the bottom of the feet. Even a yellow tinge between the pads. Do NOT take any yellow footed "marans" ever. Good luck with your new birds! Post pics!!!!
big_smile.png
We all can never get enough baby pics...

Back
Top Bottom