1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Marans throwing White chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ladywolfe, May 4, 2009.

1. ladywolfe

ladywolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Out of about 35 eggs I got 5 white chicks and want to know does this happen because of something with temp. or what? Been hatching eggs and this is first time this has happened and they are penned together so nothing else could have gotten to them. They are Wade Jean line. Should I keep the whites? will they breed white? any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Ladywolfe

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Wow, I really dont know but wanted to say good luck!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Pretty sure they are recessive whites, and I think you can start a white line from them.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Jeane has a recessive wheaten gene in his line; those are wheatens, not whites.

I believe there is someone who is planning on breeding the wheatens from the copper blacks, but it's not advisable to do so. Would take years to get them pure, and there's really no reason, since we already have pure wheatens that breed true.

This doens't mean it's a bad line...it's just a recessive gene that seems to pop up fairly often with Jeane birds. Congrats on your hatch!

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'm pretty sure there are white marans hatched as well, called sports. I'm almost positive on this???

Yep I just looked it up on the marans club on yahoo there alre also whites that come out of BC lines at times, white and wheaten. I think it would be interesting to get a few sports I may try to breed them. The wheatens are pretty the whites are okay, but they remind me too much of white leghorns

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Thats why I dont have or like his line cause they throw wheatons, but thats me.................

7. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

i wish i could see a family tree on who got thair birds from who
    as far as jeane , davis and presley an what they worked on

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    92caddy - with such a young breed to the U.S., we must work with what we have. That being said, I'm sorta with you on the Jeane line. It's gotten weak, IMO. I have a few, but they are not very nice quality and I'll not be using them in my breeding program. See the pullet to the right in this picture? She's of the Jeane line. In my experience, she is typical of the line.

She's got WAY too much copper coloring in her neck/hackles; she's got the wrong colored eyes (her eyes are almost green), and she's not heavy enough in conformation. HOWEVER, if she was all I had, I'd use her and try to breed up from there.

[​IMG]

9. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Ladywolfe,
    I am also in Georgia. If you get rid of them Please let me know. I would love to have them just for me. I have Black Copper Marans and would be glad to trade you eggs for them or even a few of my black copper chics . I have Wade Jeane lines as well and I have never hatched a white or had anyone that I sold to hatcha white. Anyway I would still be intrested in them Thanks Livia

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:It just means the breeder birds were carrying a recessive gene.

Seems there's some debate as to the color.. if the chicks are solid yellow and growing solid white feathers, they probably are recessive whites.. recessive white x recessive white= 100% whites. If you like this color, then go ahead and create a line of whites.

If the chicks are more cream colored and/or have a stripe on head or back, they probably are wheatens. Again, if you like this color.. go ahead. Wheaten x wheaten from this group should produce 100% wheatens, unless the gene pool also has other surprises lurking in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by