Black Copper Marans

Quote:
Oooooo...I'll take THAT one, please
love.gif

Quote:
This is a complicated question. There's lots of complicated questions with chickens!
wink.png

In some breeds, each color may be closely related. In other breeds, each color may only be distantly related to each other. So it depends on what breed you're talking about. In Marans, I would say they are *relatively* closely related. Each color is a "variety". A "strain", IMHO, would be more like comparing Bev Davis BCM to Wade Jeane BCM. None are quite as closely related as colors of a lab, because ideally you don't want different colors cropping up in the same clutches -- you want them to be more isolated than that. OTOH, in some cases it's possible to extract one variety from a different variety -- like getting wheatens out of BCM flocks -- so the relationship is still pretty close.

Clear as mud now?

6533_wheatenegg2.jpg

6533_wheatenegg.jpg

6533_hensnroo.jpg

I got our darkest egg ever today from a Wheaten pullett. She is 3rd generation from some Wheaten chicks that hatched from Wade Jeane Black Coppers. The Wheaten Roo in the last picture is the father and one of the hens is the mother of the pullett. I don't have a picture of the pullet, but she's pretty much identical to the hens in the picture. The Wheatens are laying the darkest eggs of any we get, and the egg color seems to get darker from one generation to the next.

Greg

Beautiful egg! Generally, is a Marans egg darker than a Welsummer? I understand there are many variables, but if a person wanted consistently dark eggs which breed would you recommend? I've been looking for a breeder, not hatchery, in Canada for Welsummers, but haven't had much luck yet; maybe I should consider getting Marans? I just prefer clean legs, not feathered.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Most breeders are working toward feather legged marans, but there are still some clean leg flocks around. Marans are known for dark eggs but I don't have Welsummers so I can't say how they compare. I've had Cuckoos, Black Coppers and Wheatens and the Wheatens have consistently produced the darkest eggs.

Greg

well this chick is a little over 2 weeks now. all feathers it has of now are white. i am still waiting for the feathers on its back to come in. I will post new pics tomorrow.

tgcole nice looking egg.

a few more pics of this little chick. his legs are turning a slate grey. i can now say this is a roo chick.. it looks to me he is going to be solid white. only time will tell.

26710_phot0495.jpg

26710_phot0496.jpg

26710_phot0497.jpg

hmmmmm.................crazy but kinda cool!
Be sure to post more photo's of him as he grows, this is very interesting.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom