Black Cornish Roo/ White Cornish X Hens

Genetics always matter but breeding any Rooster to CX is going to give you a better Meat bird than that rooster was. For me any large Fowl will do, Its not worth the effort to go searching for the best rooster. What ever Rooster I have on hand will work.
From the pics I would say that a Dark Cornish Rooster would be the best

My Ross 500 cornish hens, 2 months old today, processed 6 roosters this morning out of 12 birds. 3 or 4 remaining are hens, and I was going to keep a couple of these hens pictured, but these girls are so giant and sloppy looking, I wonder if not just process them too? They are humungus, they have bare spots with no feathers growing (not a pretty sight) and they seem to suffer in the heat, it was 110 degrees here today. Should they stay or should they go? I got a couple great big Wheaten Marans roos to cross on the cornish cross hens. Guess I'll decide in the morning when my daughter and I finish buthering birds.

Have dark cornish roosters in solitary confinement cause they was beating up my my Marans roos. I hatched the Marans out a couple years ago, and they are my only remaining marans after a racoon killed several of my birds for fun a year ago. Feeding 12 cornish X and 4 turkeys is like having a couple of extra horses to feed, they go through 50# bag of feed in 2 or 3 days! After tomorrow, the freezer electric bill will take the place of the feed bill :).
It had been 24 years since I had butchered a chicken, but it's like riding a bicycle, you never forget how. Went to walmart to get giant size vacuum freezer bags and everyhing related to food preservation, canning, freezing is all sold out, I couldn't believe it! Good to see people getting more self sufficient though.

Attachments

• 20200815_192701-1.jpg
    20200815_192701-1.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom