Black Crested duck falling over and arching back

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by drakoduck, Dec 21, 2016.

1. drakoduck

drakoduck New Egg

Dec 21, 2016
    We have a flock of about 40 birds most quite young. We have 2 crested black ducks, 1 crested peking, 3 runner ducks, 4 call ducks, one goose, 4 muscovy ducks and about 25 chickens.

The ducks we all born at the beginning of June so they are close to 6 months old, the chickens are about three months old and the goose is of an unknown age since we got him as a rescue.

Our black crested female has been looking poorly of late. Her crest has been thinning and her walk has been more strained. Today she couldn't keep her balance at all and she keeps falling over, sometimes flopping around and craning her neck, unable to right herself.

I separated her from the rest of the flock and I've just put her in our side yard by herself.

I can't seem to find any information about what's could be going on with her. There are several threads out there on crested ducks loosing their balance, but we're feeding un-medicated organic flock raiser feed, this duck is mature, we give lots of supplemental feed in the form of scraps from a local restaurant.

Just not sure what to do other than sit back and wait.

Here's our poor little girl having a rough day.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Could be wry neck, so you could try treating for that. Could also just be that she's a crested duck and now she has neurological issues. They're not always apparent from the time of hatch and could just be showing up now. In that case, there's really nothing to be done.

Also you might already know this but do not let the crested ducks breed together or you will end up with a lot of dead in shell ducklings - at least 25% of them. Do you have a drake in with your crested females? If so then this is quite possibly the result of him yanking hard on her crest while mating. He could have given her brain damage. The crest is cause by a hole in the skull so her brain is not protected at all in that spot.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I couldn't sit back and wait I'd have to try something like a B complex vitamin with at least 150 mgs of niacin in it. Since you already have her separated [and that is a good thing since they may gang up on her ] why not try a few things. First the B complex then Keep her in a smaller area till her balance is improved to where she isn't falling over. Crested ducks can have neurological issue and it doesn't always have to happen when very young. Maybe she just got off with her nutrients and needs help getting back to normal. Has she started to lay yet? even that could get her off balance as far as calcium since it takes alot of calcium to make an egg shell. I'd try the B complex first. Please post back and let us know how she is doing. You might try one of her buddies with her for company I think she'd appreciate the company and security. @drakoduck

4. drakoduck

drakoduck New Egg

Dec 21, 2016
    So...in your opinion this isn't a contagious issue? I feel bad leaving her all by herself. I'd feel better putting her male in there with her.

5. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    Do you think it could just be neurological issues? not that uncommon in crested ducks

1 person likes this.
  6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

As I stated in my post, this could very well be the issue. Has he been mating with her roughly? Female crested ducks are better kept in all female flocks to avoid the brain damage issue I mentioned. It could very well get worse if it has been caused by the drake and he injures her further.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @drakoduck if he is going to be all over her wanting to mate then please don't put him in with her another calm female would be best. Right now she doesn't need to be having to deal with a sexually driven drake.

As far as being contagious only a Vet can tell you that. But I have seen quite a few crested ducks acting like her it could very well be neurological.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very good @Pyxis bringing that up. Especially since he did mention her crest was missing feathers.

9. drakoduck

drakoduck New Egg

Dec 21, 2016
    Why do people breed these ducks if they are so prone to brain damage from acting like ducks? Why breed for a trait that lowers quality of life and survivability. This all seems cruel.

I'm putting this poor girl down and we're done with crested ducks.

We're going to put our energy towards our chickens and muscovies that want to live.

Thanks for your input.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Because people who usually buy them have no idea. They just think they are cute. I am so sorry you are going to put her down. It's not her fault she is crested. I'd give her a chance at least. @drakoduck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by