Black crested White Polish

Pics
Hopefully you see good results from those crosses. Do you have any photos of your birds?

Do you have any recommendations for what to select for when breeding? I figure you’ve got a lot of experience with this variety.

Attachments

• 20231009_104910.jpg
    20231009_104910.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 13
Concerning what to select for there are steps in selecting. First down color should be silvery. Problem here is Ideal birds only the boys were silver. I think this means wrong gene at e locus. Maybe e+ or eb. Should be ewh. Of course selecting breeders use your best. But what is that?

If you look at the roo with the clean breast you will see how all the smut except for his tail was eliminated. Buff color has the genes to clean the black from the body and tail. If I can get that color on a polish bird that will be a big step forward. There is a gene or combination of genes that allow black crest on a buff bird. Buff can be changed to white if gold s+ is replaced by S silver.

Concerning what to select for there are steps in selecting. First down color should be silvery. Problem here is Ideal birds only the boys were silver. I think this means wrong gene at e locus. Maybe e+ or eb. Should be ewh. Of course selecting breeders use your best. But what is that?
When you refer to silvery down, do you mean this?
1696869566922.jpeg

Photo from feather site, courtesy of
Mckinney & Govero Poultry​

I have a few photos of chick down. Most were striped. A few ended up pretty light, but had faint striping.
9653DDC1-0D8A-48CA-B225-A786C590B0EB.jpeg

1st day picture above. After losses, I was left with the below group, who matured into the adults i had/have.
DB454DF7-A716-4B7C-AF26-5D2ED58D6846.jpeg

These are BCW X Silver laced. The type is much better than the BCW. The color was lost so it could take many years to get back to where the BCW was unless you line breed. One or two generations bred back to the parents could get the original BCW color with better type. But the color was bad to start with. That is why the Orpington cross is needed to correct the color. That cross will be focused on getting a Polish type bird with solid buff or white color. With or without black crest. Then I can start to work on a BCW with color and type.

Attachments

• 20231009_104648.jpg
    20231009_104648.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 3655532

I have a few photos of chick down. Most were striped. A few ended up pretty light, but had faint striping.
View attachment 3655535
1st day picture above. After losses, I was left with the below group, who matured into the adults i had/have. View attachment 3655538
Yes silver chicks are correct. Stripes are not the desired down, but they are what we have to work with.
View attachment 3655532

View attachment 3655535
1st day picture above. After losses, I was left with the below group, who matured into the adults i had/have. View attachment 3655538
Most of these look ok. They will not have clean bodies. But if you get a pullet that is clean bodied that had silver down that is the most valuable chicken you could hope for.

Back
Top Bottom