black, deciding which bleed through is the lesser evil...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Mar 22, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have to decide which of my araucana to use. I have a black with minimal red bleedthrough(for now), a black with gold bleed through, and a black with silver bleed through...
    assuming they are equal in every other way, which is better to use on a black hen?
    I will probably try all, but wanted to know what I might expect

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I don't know genetics wise, but to me the red is less visible from ten feet away...

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    actually I was also thinking about putting a lav pullet in with him and I know the silver translates to straw, so maybe the red is best for that.....

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd think they're all probably much the same in that they've probably lost eumelanising gene(s).
    If I had to choose one above the others purely by colour of the leakage I'd probably go for the red because I think I read, years ago, where Clive Carefoot had said that he thought Mh improved green sheen in blacks.

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

whats your ultimate goal or your end result of what your looking to obtain color wise??

Charlie

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was hoping to get more blacks to cross back with the lavs...

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

actually I was also thinking about putting a lav pullet in with him and I know the silver translates to straw, so maybe the red is best for that.....

Well it's probably going to be hit & miss. There are recessive eumelanising genes & leakage is less likely to show in females. Pheomelanin is diluted to straw with homozygous lav//lav.​

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I guess this will be a case of just do it and cull [​IMG]

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe the silver leakage would be best to try! may have a better effect with the lavender..

Charlie

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the silver has the best personality, I wasn't even going to keep him, but when he was in the house he always found a way out of the brooder to come see me when he saw me.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by