black, deciding which bleed through is the lesser evil...

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have to decide which of my araucana to use. I have a black with minimal red bleedthrough(for now), a black with gold bleed through, and a black with silver bleed through...
assuming they are equal in every other way, which is better to use on a black hen?
I will probably try all, but wanted to know what I might expect

actually I was also thinking about putting a lav pullet in with him and I know the silver translates to straw, so maybe the red is best for that.....

I'd think they're all probably much the same in that they've probably lost eumelanising gene(s).
If I had to choose one above the others purely by colour of the leakage I'd probably go for the red because I think I read, years ago, where Clive Carefoot had said that he thought Mh improved green sheen in blacks.

actually I was also thinking about putting a lav pullet in with him and I know the silver translates to straw, so maybe the red is best for that.....

Well it's probably going to be hit & miss. There are recessive eumelanising genes & leakage is less likely to show in females. Pheomelanin is diluted to straw with homozygous lav//lav.​

I guess this will be a case of just do it and cull
hu.gif

the silver has the best personality, I wasn't even going to keep him, but when he was in the house he always found a way out of the brooder to come see me when he saw me.....

Back
Top Bottom