black, deciding which bleed through is the lesser evil...

Maybe the silver leakage would be best to try! may have a better effect with the lavender

Leakage will be leakage whether on black or lavender. If present it will show on either.​

You may get a better quality feather with the silver leakage than the red on lavender.. also think about carrying other traits along as well with the color, like tufts or rumples

we are in the same process with are araucana project right now
Ive got double tufted/tailed splits growing out
clean faced rumples splits growing out

we'll have two different blood lines to start off with are project, cant wait till late summer gets here when we can breed the two blood lines of splits together to make our lavender araucana from..

Charlie

Last edited:
ok, the silver is rumpless and tufted(very small), the red is rumpless/clean faced, and the gold is tufted but tailed. So ultimately the silver would probably be best. 1 pullet is rumpless/clean faced, the other is clean faced/tailed..
I was going to try to increase the # of black before the starting the lavs but I have 3 lav splits in the bator. I need more black pullets!

You may get a better quality feather with the silver leakage than the red on lavender.. also think about carrying other traits along as well with the color, like tufts or rumples

OP asked about leakage. I don't see why one would get better feather quality with silver than gold.​

Quote:
now you're just teasing me
tongue.png

Well if it was me, id just go straight after lavender and try with the silver first but that would be my choice.

Of course all the other traits would have to come into play as well, whether if you did it like us and make a few different lines to start off with. that Will give some diversity in your flock by going this rout. we also selected particular birds for there nice blue egg color.

Krys gold may be good to?

i know in are porcelain bantams we have, every now and then i see some bad feathering on a growing out chick and it always seems like it has something to do with the diluted mahogany or red coloring in the feather on the porcelain. i don't know what causes this, but see it on those portions of the diluted red by the lav gene growing out.

I normally do not keep them long enough to see what the end result would be and cull them out early, however it is a rare thing, but like i said i do see it once and while.. it kind of looks like slow feathering or something of that nature but the quill's seem weird on them, if i hatch another one i will take pic's and show what i mean. but i believe its in the way the lav gene trys to dilute that red color and it has some effect in the feathering of that area of the bird.

Charlie

Last edited:
I'd agee with you that type is of singular importance, because if a bird does not have type then it is not any breed at all. klf73 asked about leakage.
I've never seen any particular difference between feather quality on gold & silver with or without lavender. I'm not saying it hasn't happened I just haven't seen it.
IMO, in the absence of males without leakage, I' agree with klf73.....try each & then decide.

how hard is it to get a black roo without leakage? I have hatched some from differenct breeders and they all have leakage...

Back
Top Bottom