black, deciding which bleed through is the lesser evil...

I have only gotten eggs from 1 breeder there that has colors separated and didn't get any blacks....

I have no experience with the US Araucana Club. But really if you join the club you ought to be able to get info about reputable breeders.
When you say you've only found one breeder who had the colours separated. I don't think I understand. Presumably you don't mean that the other breeders had a variety of random colours in the same pen?

Krista,
First the hardest trait to get is tufted. Since the silver has the tufted and rumpless gene this would be the one I would go with. 2nd the lav splits will be from also from a triple tufted silver/or birchen rooster so you will get the silver trait in some of the pullets if I am right and silver gene is sexlink. You will have to work this out if you wish later down the road.
As far as blacks they are had to clean up. Most of the breeders have a helter skelter breeding program and mix the colors up. Except for the serious show breeders . For the black some one was correct since the old timers of the black Sumatras would like to see 1 red feather in them to keep the green sheen. I do not know if I am correct on that but maybe someone with Sumatras will enlighten you about this fact. Harry

Last edited:
Well if it was me id stay away from the red and gold beings you have that choice if going for lavender, don't worry about the green or purple sheen, you aren't going to see it on lavender anyway.. also you may see both sheens on one single bird, thats not that uncommon to see this on black, maybe even from different angles and the sunlight reflecting the sheen, looks purple from one angle and possibly greenish purple from another angle..

we don't all show birds and so we can run are pens like we like them, as i have a mixed pen of araucana myself which most everybody knows on here..we love them that way..

Thats a personal preference and not someone else's choice as to what and how there gonna pen there birds..
Candy Color is what that boils down to and some like a flock of birds with color and not just a back yard full of a single color or what some call a back yard of crows running around..

as for the tufts in are lavender program they were the easiest to obtain on chicks(% ran about 60/40), been a little bit more difficulty in getting rumplness on the chicks(% is about 75/25 few more hatches yet to go on this side of the program), but we got them never the less with culls to go with both breedings..

Charlie

Last edited:
I still like the mixes, but they just don't work with this project.....
thanks Charlie, since you are working on this already your input is invaluable.
Thanks everyone else, I love learning this stuff
tongue.png

If you just keep breeding the blacks to blacks, you will get some sooner or later, you must keep at it and only select for the best blacks or less leakage on bird/chicks and continue to breed until the leakage no longer appears in your flock, when you buy from show breeders don't always expect to get what you think your buying for as in color. We've purchased birds from other breeders "per say good breeders that show"

examples:; well known buff silkie breeder..all chicks hatched ended up poor colors. some not even buff..this was not a pa breeder..

Buff orps..bought eggs hatched them and got all kinds of colors from them they surely were not pure and didn't look anything like what the breeder was showing..

Needless to say we culled all the so called breeder birds and just worked with what we had and added and selected birds from people we knew and trusted..
Ive herd many stories of other folks on here with the same experiences with some so called show breeders..

Charlie

Last edited:
Thats a personal preference and not someone else's choice as to what and how there gonna pen there birds..
Candy Color is what that boils down to and some like a flock of birds with color and not just a back yard full of a single color or what some call a back yard of crows running around..

Well of course this is true......it just depends upon ones aims in breeding. That is if one is breeding the birds rather than keeping for eggs & something pretty in the garden. But any breeder seriously trying to breed birds which conform to standard in both colour & type they would need to have colours in separate pens if they ever expect to achieve their goal.
I think Harry's reply sounds very logical.​

Quote:
Hey Harry,
The silver one comes from you, he has such personality, the kids love him too. I am going to put one of the clean faced lav I got from you with him along with a black pullet.

Yup Krys, we have our many serious pens as well.

Fortunately we are lucky to have a colorful pen as well, producing black, blue, splash, duck wings, BBR and even a few unknown colors..Just a lovely site cruising in the back yard..

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom