Black diamond breed??

Hi! We lucked out finding these at a local Tractor supply. Bought 8 chicks.
.... I had been wondering if anyone else had randomly found anything like them?

From what I can tell they're originally from a specialty breeder, I don't see them on the TSC website anymore. These are mine that were labeled "black diamond"
They are very sweet, and to seem to be larger than anticipated. Large 5 toes, black throughout other than slight dark red/brown on the roos. Some have Silkie head poofs, but no feathered legs oddly (?)

Attachments

• 20220704_181932.jpg
    20220704_181932.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220716_203603.jpg
    20220716_203603.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 75
We have true breeding ees here?
They may not breed true for any other trait, but the US hatcheries of try to have them breed true for the blue egg gene. (It doesn't always happen, but that is at least the intent-- to breed EEs to EEs and get more EEs to sell, generation after generation.)

The other ones in that description are from a cross of blue-egger and brown-egger. With that cross, they are certain to have the not-blue-egg gene (from the brown-egger parent.) So it is a guaranteed thing that they are NOT pure for the blue egg gene.

Have some black diamonds. They are BIG chickens. They have the biggest feet with five toes. Mine are only three months old and they are bigger than my grown chicken

If they're from TSC, they're from Hoover Hatchery ... Got 2 EEs from from a friend that purchased from TSC, look like a legbar.

Pulled up the hatchery website ...
"Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called Grünleger, which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The Grünleger is a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg-laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs."

0613 EE:Kiko.jpg

Attachments

• 0613 EE:Rojo 1.jpg
    0613 EE:Rojo 1.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 0626 Kiko:2.jpg
    0626 Kiko:2.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom