Black dots - combs....Picking or Pox?....UPDATED w/ pics**

I have a few with fowl pox and it is definately worse than your pictures. It also affects their eyes, (gunky, swollen) and the worst one's comb is dry looking and gray in areas, other than the black spots.

Quote:
So you do think that this is a pox?
That is a viral infection, right?
Anything I can do to get rid of it? It's not so bad yet, but I can see that they all have it.

Did I do something wrong to cause or let this happen?

Are the eggs safe?

I do not think that it is pox either. I have pox going through some of my birds right now and your's look nothing like mine.

I believe that it is dried blood and /or scabs from pecking or getting scratched on something.

Last edited:
I think the line on the wattle is the best clue.... exactly what you'd expect to see if another bird bit the wattles and it pulled away... leaving a nice scratch.

mine have the same thing, especially my BR roo. One of his comb tips actually turned black and came off. It's not frostbite, he's only 8 months old, and it hasn't been freezing. It's not pox, but I don't know what it could be other than that....

My rooster has the same problem. Any suggestions on what if anything to do for it? I was going to put vasoline on his comb thinking it had to do with the cold weather we've been having. But , after reading this I think they are little scabs fom him scratching his comb. Would neosporin be a better idea or maybe bag balm???

Back
Top Bottom