Bumblefoot update and question

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
I have been treating my hen Bossy for Bumblefoot in the center of her foot pad for about 2 weeks. Soaked foot a few times, but scab was so small I couldn't even see margins to pull it off with. I have been thoroughly cleaning and applying antiseptic, Neosporin w/o pain relief, and PRID then bandaging with gauze and sports tape. It has gotten progressively better and I have attached a picture of what it looks like today. The white area around the black dot in the center of her foot is from being bandaged with moist medicated ointment/PRID held onto the area, I believe. I let it air out a little and it started returning to the same color as the surrounding tissue. It looks like it's swollen, but it's only the way I am holding it down to get a pic. When I let her foot hand normally, it is just like her other foot pad.

Is it necessary to keep it bandaged at this point? I have tried to pull out the little black dot with tweezers, but it won't come out and she reacts like it is very painful when I pull on the area or push around it trying to get something to come out. I get nothing. I really don't feel any hard kernel underneath the dot or in her foot pad. Her foot was never hot or swollen. She never limped on it. and has been walking, jumping and scratching the ground like normal. Only reason I noticed it was she kept trying to peck at the bottom of her foot one evening and when I picked her up to see why, I noticed a little black dot in the center of her foot pad. When it didn't rub off, I began treating for bumblefoot immediately.

We are expecting a good amount of rain and temps in the 30s overnite into tomorrow. The run does get muddy and wet and I worry about her bandages getting and staying wet with the cold temps and that being held around her foot with her stepping in and out of puddles.

Attachments

• 1 6 24 bossys foot.jpg
    1 6 24 bossys foot.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 34
This is just My opinion On what I would do.
Leave bandages off, and let chicken walk around as normally as before. Watch to see if she starts to limp in due time. That may mean the Bumble foot kernel is growing larger. Then start treatment, and possible extraction. (if kernel is large enough to grab with tweezers)
May be that the dark dot is just something different/coincidental,, :idunno
I have been reading, and following this thread with similar issue as your. Go there and see if there is anything there you can apply to your hen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumble-foot-cured-with-homeopathy.1607135/

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

My hens were usually treated only after they began limping. Once, had a case that the bumble was so deep that I failed to get it on the first attempt, and later had to use a razor blade to go deeper into her foot. She was a good patient who was treated more that twice. Keep an eye on her walking. Sounds like you are doing all you can for her.

Back
Top Bottom