1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by grampies57, Apr 7, 2012.

1. grampies57

grampies57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I bought 2 ducklings that are compleatly black at the local feed store. They ordered what were sold as Easter Ducks. Some were black, dark brown, and some looked like Mallard ducklings. Any one have any ideas on what breed they might be?

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Cayuga. They are beautiful. My favorite ducks to look at. I don't quite have the time to upload my cayuga drake for you, but looking up a few images online shouldn't be too hard.

3. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Could also possibly be black East Indies (basically a miniature Cayuga).

4. Jknigge

Jknigge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Missouri
    If you got them at the feed store they are likely runners. I got 2 black ducklings from Orscheln with the hope that they were Cayuga ducklings. They are now nearly 2 weekso old and are clearly runner ducklings.

Here is a pic of them when we brought them home.

[​IMG]

Here is Squeak at probably 4 days old. Pip does not have the yellow on his chest and this is starting to disappear a little in squeak.

[​IMG]

Here they are outside at 1 week old.

[​IMG]

They will be 2 weeks old on Monday and are clearly runner ducklings. It has been sort of chilly here and I haven't had a chance to get them outside much or take pictures of them lately but they are definitely runner ducklings. I wanted cayugas but am fine with them being runners. We already have one that is 3 weeks older then him. I think the only way to know for sure is to wait and see what they look like in a few weeks. Either way they will be tons of fun.

5. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Actually they aren't clearly runners. I'm 90% sure they are Cayuga's I have never seen a runner at at feed store (at least around here) but those look just like my Cayuga's.

6. Jknigge

Mar 21, 2012
    Missouri

Really?!?! You mean there is still hope that my ducklings are Cayugas? I had pretty much lost hope that they were anything but runners. At first I posted pictures and everyone said they were cayugas but they have started looking more and more like my runner. On the website that Orscheln orders from they list cayugas as a rare breed and I assumed that wouldn't be something they would put in with the assortment ducklings they send to feed stores. I will try to post some pictures of them in the next few days. Maybe we will get them out this afternoon and I can take their picture. I would really like to have some cayugas. We have 2 Pekins, and a fawn and white runner right now so something with some color would be great. Cayugas are SO pretty! Let me know what you think after I post those pictures. Do you have any picctures of your cayugas at about 3-4 weeks old?

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Jknigge, those are not Runners and the one with the white bib is Swedish, or mostly Swedish.

8. MamaDuck1

MamaDuck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. Jknigge

Mar 21, 2012
    Missouri
    OK I got outside with the ducks today. Finally warm weather again! They are now 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grampies-Sorry to hijack your post. Maybe all the conversation about these little guys will help you determine what yours are. Either way I am sure you are in love with them already.

10. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    I'll have to dig around and see. They are about 4 weeks right now. Cayuga's are actually frequently included in the assorted ducks here. I'll try to get pics of them later, cause I gotta get some pics of my RIR roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by