Black East Indie duck

I'd like some more info on these ducks. Anybody care to fill me in on how they contain them, whether or not the ducks hatch out their ducklings themselves and how well they forage/free range? I want to get some ducks that do a good job free ranging, that are pretty and don't fly off.

Here is my new east indie duckling which was born with 2 calls and one miniature silver appleyard :):

I'd like some more info on these ducks. Anybody care to fill me in on how they contain them, whether or not the ducks hatch out their ducklings themselves and how well they forage/free range? I want to get some ducks that do a good job free ranging, that are pretty and don't fly off.

Although I have just got one of this breed of my own I work at a duck sales place which has this breed and I have learnt many things about this breed. First things first they can make good flyers so clipping wings maybe an option but they don't have to be in a roofed closure simply a 5 ft fence is enough. They do make economical eaters which is great for saving money. They mix well with other breeds although the drakes take a bit longer than the hens. They make fairly good foragers and will eat a range of insects. We haven't hatch eggs from a broody east indie yet only an incubator so I'm not sure what there like at hatching. Hope this helps :)

Although I have just got one of this breed of my own I work at a duck sales place which has this breed and I have learnt many things about this breed. First things first they can make good flyers so clipping wings maybe an option but they don't have to be in a roofed closure simply a 5 ft fence is enough. They do make economical eaters which is great for saving money. They mix well with other breeds although the drakes take a bit longer than the hens. They make fairly good foragers and will eat a range of insects. We haven't hatch eggs from a broody east indie yet only an incubator so I'm not sure what there like at hatching. Hope this helps :)

Thanks so much for your reply!!! :) I really want to get a couple of BEIs not sure if I'll be ready in time to get a couple pairs this fall. May have to get ducklings next spring or perhaps wait until next fall for pairs. Are you feeding yours a commercial duck food or what are you feeding? Do you free range yours ever or do you plan to?

Where do you get these ducks from? I've only found them on ideal and I'm not entirely sure I want to order from them. I have no local breeders btw, and I'd really like the ducks to be available in Oct. The minimum order would also need to be 2...as I don't have room for more. And they would also need to have mallards and a sexing option as I can't deal with more ducklings.

Where do you get these ducks from? I've only found them on ideal and I'm not entirely sure I want to order from them. I have no local breeders btw, and I'd really like the ducks to be available in Oct. The minimum order would also need to be 2...as I don't have room for more. And they would also need to have mallards and a sexing option as I can't deal with more ducklings.

Dave Holdread has them I believe. I think you'd be able to specify what you wanted but I'm not sure. You'd have to see what he has available.

I'd like to get on a waiting list for East Indie hens, any age. I'm in Oregon, but will happily overnight ship. Thanks!

I'd like to get on a waiting list for East Indie hens, any age.  I'm in Oregon, but will happily overnight ship.  Thanks!

This thread is pretty quiet. You might want to check Holdreads for BEIs. I want to get some sometime as well but I haven't seen many people on here that have them. Holdreads is one of the few places that has them. You could check your local craigslist as well on the rare chance that there might be something local.

I've already been on Holderread's waiting list over a year, and I'm on top of their list for females only, but the people asking for pairs and drakes, on the list below me, keep getting what's available.

I have to wait until next Fall again.

Back
Top Bottom