Black Egg? Due To Hatch In A Day

GarnerZoo

Chirping
May 22, 2015
I know this question has been asked loads, but I've not found a straight answer to it.
The eggs are due to hatch sometime through tomorrow and Tuesday. I've read it could be rotting or it could be ready to hatch as it is too big for the egg. Is there anything else it could be? I don't know if it's the rotting thing because wouldn't the momma know it's bad and kick it out? (she has before)

if it doesn't stink you could try candling it..maybe the shell is discouloured..I've seen some strange shells

I have a couple that look like that....are they definitely rotten? If I candle them, there are visible blood vessels....

Gently cover it with a plastic bag and zip tie tightly. If it explodes the stench and bacteria will splash on everything.

I'm waiting for my duck to get off the nest so I can candle it. Her nest doesn't stink at all but when I get the chance to I will smell and candle it. I'll post back what my findings are when I find them. If it doesn't stink and there are blood vessels do I leave it?

There is a second black egg I found not long ago. I wont be able to candle them or pick either up as one is starting to hatch (not the pictured one) and two other eggs (not black ones) have hatched. So momma duck is very protective right now. I probably wont even be able to go near them until the ones that are going to hatch hatch and she leaves the nest for a bit. Here's to hoping the first one starts to hatch and then both hatch healthy little ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom