Black/grey mystery chick 5 weeks

Interesting. To me it would appear to be a Sapphire Gem cockerel then. However, it looks to have the wrong skin color. I'm a bit stumped with this one. Post updated pics in a few weeks.
In general, what age range do most cockerels show development in combs and wattles? 2 out of the 6 are male and they were all supposed to be female so I really hope this one is female. They're about 6 weeks old now and I haven't seen any change in the comb, it was almost overnight that the others went red and by the weeks end they'd doubled in size.

In general, what age range do most cockerels show development in combs and wattles? 2 out of the 6 are male and they were all supposed to be female so I really hope this one is female. They're about 6 weeks old now and I haven't seen any change in the comb, it was almost overnight that the others went red and by the weeks end they'd doubled in size.
All are different, but single combs typically show gender between 6-8 weeks.

Will be 8 weeks this weekend, she's a tad smaller than the others but I don't have any others of her breed for comparison so I know that doesn't really apply here even though she eats just as much as everyone else. She's the most mellow, doesn't run or flap when I pick her up and was the first to jump on us trying to roost on our arms. Still no comb change so crossing my fingers she is a she lol

Attachments

• 20210804_145430.jpg
    20210804_145430.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210804_145504.jpg
    20210804_145504.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210804_144533.jpg
    20210804_144533.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210804_145256.jpg
    20210804_145256.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 6
Huh, well she's a pullet! Looking at what Hoover's carries, I'm honestly think she's a Blue English Orpington. We'll have to see as she ages if the body type matches! Since Sapphire Gems typically have yellow skin and lighter eyes, I'm leaning away from that right now, but it's certainly an option!

Huh, well she's a pullet! Looking at what Hoover's carries, I'm honestly think she's a Blue English Orpington. We'll have to see as she ages if the body type matches! Since Sapphire Gems typically have yellow skin and lighter eyes, I'm leaning away from that right now, but it's certainly an option!
I've been watching all their eyes and noticed the SS eyes have gone from a hazel color to a more green the last 2 week's but this grey chick has solid black eyes.

Back
Top Bottom