Black head disease

klilly20

Songster
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Kentucky, USA
Is there a way that you can kill cecal worms in the ground?. Is there a pesticide? I have such a small place I have 18 chickens 3 of them are free raging. I started on raising turkeys and have lost all of them to black head disease the last one passed away tonight. ARRRRRRRGH I get attached to them to just loose them I am tired of getting my heart broken when one passes away. The chickens I have all seems to be resistant to the disease but I got 2 week old silkies afraid of loosing them to the dreadful disease. There is not animal hospitals around here that works with farm animal so I am left at trying to treat the birds by myself. I bought a bag of medicated feed called Strike 3 which has hygromycin from tractor supply I am not sure if I have purchased the right thing or not. I hear about fishzole but I do not know anything about this kind of medications or how to use it. First of all what do I do first?

Is there a way that you can kill cecal worms in the ground?. Is there a pesticide? I have such a small place I have 18 chickens 3 of them are free raging. I started on raising turkeys and have lost all of them to black head disease the last one passed away tonight. ARRRRRRRGH I get attached to them to just loose them I am tired of getting my heart broken when one passes away. The chickens I have all seems to be resistant to the disease but I got 2 week old silkies afraid of loosing them to the dreadful disease. There is not animal hospitals around here that works with farm animal so I am left at trying to treat the birds by myself. I bought a bag of medicated feed called Strike 3 which has hygromycin from tractor supply I am not sure if I have purchased the right thing or not. I hear about fishzole but I do not know anything about this kind of medications or how to use it. First of all what do I do first?
Worm eggs cannot be killed in the soil. They can survive in the soil for several years in all different kinds of weather and temps. Rotating free range pasture may help, but no guarantees. Having chickens and turkeys on the same soil is risky as you have found out. You're correct, blackhead is deadly to turkeys but not necessarily to chickens. Chickens are the host to the cecal worm.
Strike 3 will kill cecal worms which are the host for the protozoa which causes blackhead. Treat the disease first in your chickens since your turkeys are already infected. Give each chicken one tablet orally each day for five days of 250mg metronidazole or flagyl. After five days, you can feed them the Strike 3 for how many days the treatment is recommended. I've never used the product so I dont know how many days you need to add the product to their feed. I use Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer which either will kill most or all types of worms including cecal worms. If you decide to treat your turkeys, give them 500mg metronidazole or flagyl once a day for 5 days, and then give them the strike 3 wormer. You'll have to maintain a regular worming schedule to keep the worms in check using the Strike 3 at least once a month due to your soil being contaminated with cecal worm eggs. I also recommend that you separate your chickens from your turkeys.
Here's where you can order Fishzole (Metronidazole:)
http://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal.com/search?w=fishzole

Last edited:
Thank you I learned the hard way mixing turkeys with chickens. Every turkey and chicken I had Incubated in my incubator. I don't know where I read it but I read that baby chickens are good teachers for turkeys on how to eat and find water. I should have separated them as soon as they learned to eat. But refused to admit I had black head disease that there was some thing else killing my turkeys, Something I did wrong, not the right feed, the temperature was not right, I stressed them out but I thought black head a western problem but I got educated real fast. I have 2 week old turkey now after what has happened I am keeping it away from the baby silkies it didn't like it very well it got over it quick. I am doing alot of research on black head disease and will correct the problem. Thank for the information I will use it to help with this disease. I refuse to loose another bird it..

I keep poults and peachicks with chickens and I also have blackhead. I found the best way to keep them alive is to keep them off the ground in brooders for at least three months and to have the medications needed to treat blackhead on hand. Those medications are:

Metronidazole (Flagyl, fish-zole or Meditrich) - I dose based on weight at 50mg/kg once or twice a day for five days.

Baytril for the secondary infections like E. coli that they usually get with blackhead. I use it only when I think they have a secondary E. coli infection at 20mg/kg once a day for five days.

Safeguard or Valbazen for the cecal worm - I use Safeguard at 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds (50mg/kg) once by mouth and repeat in ten days. Valbazen dose is no less than 0.18ml per 2.2 pounds (20mg/kg) by mouth and repeat in ten days.

All three medications I use can be used together.

In addition to the medications, I also have a digital kitchen scale and I routinely weigh my poults and peachicks. Any weight loss, lack of gain or funny looking poop and they are started on metronidazole and Safeguard. If after two days I don't see improvement they are started on Baytril as well.

If they aren't eating/drinking they must be tube fed, which is easy and very safe to do with the correct tube and syringe. FYI, I'm available to teach anyone that want to learn if they can get the tube and syringe.

I lost four to blackhead, two in 2011, two in 2012, but since then I haven't lost any, although I do go through lots of metronidazole, Baytril and Safeguard, lol.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Has any body ever use Wazine 17 for worming ? if so how to use it on small flock. It was given to me and idiot me didn't ask.

Has any body ever use Wazine 17 for worming ? if so how to use it on small flock. It was given to me and idiot me didn't ask.
I've used wazine. It only gets rid of large roundworms, not cecal worms nor any other worm for that matter.
Dosage is one ounce per gallon of water. It must be the chickens sole source of water to drink during the day. Put it out before chickens are let out of the coop in the morning, remove it when they go to roost for the night. Replace it with regular freshwater and you're finished.
You might want to take it back and get safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer to treat for cecal worms (and other worms.)

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I lost three turkeys do the disease. I know my chickens have it I am getting ready to order the safe guard now

Back
Top Bottom