Black hen? no Id got at feed store.

trinitymare

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
I have no clue what this one is, got it with the banty's and it was the same size chick but now it's twice the size.

It is a mutt EE too:rolleyes:

I think it's a hen. it was jet black as a chick with white wing points and white toe tips and throt it looked like silk.

DSC08040.jpg

DSC08044.jpg

DSC06827.jpg

yeah the red chest feathers give it away, sex link!

oh, and that means it IS a hen, becaue a male sex link looks like a barred rock
smile.png

Last edited:
Definently looks like my black sexlinks. They are sometimes called Black Stars. They lay really great, large eggs. And they are very affectionate, my girls want to be held all the time. You will love her!
ya.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
I have four of those too, that I got at a feed store. I got four thinking at least 2 or 3 would be roos, hahaha. Oops.

Definitely a black sex link that you have! One of mine is nearly all black with a very tiny amount of red on the chest, and some of the others have a lot of red.

This chick was the most wild and crazy thing and it was raised in the house, it's still wild.

At least it's a hen as it's huge! so I guess it's not a banty? it was sold to me as a banty, well to hubby....

Thanks again, we needed a black hen so all is good! I'm sure i'll love her and her eggs;)

Some of my sex links are crazy too, and others are friendly. I don't know why...I think their temper can really vary. I've noticed most of my hens become a lot friendlier after they start laying, and the roosters do the opposite! They become less friendly after they fully mature.

Quote:
My Rooster was diving me nuts! attacking me and hubby biting just nasty after he became "the man" he almost drown my female duck in her bath tub by trying to mate on her and I throw him out of the pen, if he attacked me I picked him up and made him do chores then would lay him down on his side, he is super frinedly now and never attacks it's odd.

I'm clicker training him to do tricks and he is always following the dogs around begging for hand outs but for far it's been months and he has been golden.

Back
Top Bottom