Black hen that lays grey eggs

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
Can anyone tell me what breed this hen is? I was told sapphire gem but I don't think so after looking them up. She has black eyes and around her eyes is black and her feathers have an emerald green hue. I have a couple of australorps that came from the same breeder (local) so I'm guessing some of that is in her but she doesn't have a comb/wattle like them and their eyes are different. Her eggs are grey (not charcoal). She also went broody twice this summer (born in February) and was quite difficult to break the first time. Second time not as hard. She stopped laying over a month ago after that. I'm hoping she'll start back up one of these days.

I might tuck some eggs under her in the spring and see how she does. Our rooster is a Barred Rock.
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 6.54.26 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 7.08.42 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 7.00.35 AM.png

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what breed this hen is? I was told sapphire gem but I don't think so after looking them up. She has black eyes and around her eyes is black and her feathers have an emerald green hue. I have a couple of australorps that came from the same breeder (local) so I'm guessing some of that is in her but she doesn't have a comb/wattle like them and their eyes are different. Her eggs are grey (not charcoal). View attachment 3662184View attachment 3662182View attachment 3662180
This one is the australorp that came from the same local breeder. They were all hatched together. Unfortunately, the lady who hatched them for me went dark so I can't ask her. She and the other like her both lay large brown eggs. Quite the producers.

Attachments

• Australorp hen.png
    Australorp hen.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Easter egger. She could be part Australorp but would still be an Easter egger even so.
Thanks! I thought the grey egg was different. So, I have two EEs which makes sense because they look so much alike, even though one is white and the other black. Their features are similar and their temperament. The only ones that really like attention.

Back
Top Bottom