Black lumps on chicken's back - help please!

MindaC

Hatching
Sep 20, 2023
Hi,
we were given a chicken and she has a hard black scabby lump with feathers growing through it - approx 2-3cm long x 1cm high - on her lower back.
It makes her appear to have quite a hump but does not seem to give her any pain.
She also has 2 small black lumps near one eye.
Please see attached photos.
Can anyone suggest what these may be from?
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0656.jpg

Thanks,

Those look like pecking injuries, possibly from a rooster or bullying hens. She also has some bubbles in her eye and conjunctivitis. That can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It is contagious and can make your flock positive for MG, a chronic respiratory disease.

This looks like tumors to me, her entire head seems swollen underneath the feathers.

I would not let her near my flock and observe strict quarantine and disinfection measures.

Welcome to the BYC community! :frow

Welcome To BYC

I'll give my 3¢

The hard lump with feathers growing through it may be a feather cyst.

The eye is sunken, and I see bubbles - often an indication of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma.

Hard to tell about the scab and crusty material on the ear, but could be ear infection/ear canker which can go along with respiratory illness.

The scab and swelling on the head is a bit of a puzzle. Could be swelling is from infection from injury/the scab, tumor(?) or...

I do agree very much that strict quarantine is needed. Personally, I would not add a bird like this to my existing flocks either.

If vet care is an option, that would be best.

Back
Top Bottom