Black marans stopped laying early

Evuschak

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
My small flock (4 chickens) is about to turn 3 years old. All 3 are still laying (though of course a little less than last year) but my black marans stopped laying entirely last summer when she was barely 2.5 years old. Is that normal for the breed or some chickens in general? After this winter she laid one egg (much smaller than her usual) and then that was it again. She looks otherwise healthy, eats well etc.

Well that's a bummer.

Going back to memory lane for me, I don't remember my Marans laying for a long period of time. They aren't a prolific breed.

2.5 years seems a bit early, but 3 years of age most non-high laying breeds will be greatly slowing down. How much really depends on the hen, the conditions, etc.

You might try boosting the calcium intake. Place oyster shell or calcium grit on the side to see if it helps. Sometimes the older hens simply need more calcium.

You could also try worming. By the time they get to 3 years of age, they typically have a build up of worms. But, usually, they also are a bit skinny too with some runny poop.

If she is eating and running around well, those things might help. Sometimes, however, they just stop laying early.

LofMc

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I will try calcium and worming and see what happens. Definitely a bummer, her eggs were gorgeous.

I agree that Marans are often not the most prolific layers to begin with. If she's behaving normally and looks good, she could be done permanently, or she might start up again later on, you never know.

My FBCM has barely laid the last 2 years (she'll be 6 soon) though she was battling with salpingitis both years, so I hope she's shut down and doesn't lay again.

Back
Top Bottom