Black mass on Duck feet

@Aunt Angus If you zoom in, you can see there is no kernel. This is either fungal or a wart. Bumblefoot would have a kernel of sorts.
@4Duckssofar I would try an antifungal cream. I will admit that I have no experience with a wart, but it's not going to hurt. If your other ducks have cleared up and this one is looking like this plus is presenting differently, it's a different issue. If it were bumble and just didn't heal like the others, you could apply a drawing salve like prid and then bandage to see if that helps. But, like I said, if you zoom in, it is definitely presenting differently.

@AstroDuck and @Quatie have either of you dealt with an issue that was treated as bumble while the others healed one didn't? If you can zoom in, it looks fungal to me.

@Aunt Angus If you zoom in, you can see there is no kernel. This is either fungal or a wart. Bumblefoot would have a kernel of sorts.
@4Duckssofar I would try an antifungal cream. I will admit that I have no experience with a wart, but it's not going to hurt. If your other ducks have cleared up and this one is looking like this plus is presenting differently, it's a different issue. If it were bumble and just didn't heal like the others, you could apply a drawing salve like prid and then bandage to see if that helps. But, like I said, if you zoom in, it is definitely presenting differently.

@AstroDuck and @Quatie have either of you dealt with an issue that was treated as bumble while the others healed one didn't? If you can zoom in, it looks fungal to me.
Yes I had one duck who I had this issue with. I ended up following the dosage guidelines on here for Cephalexin and did 1 week of treatment along with the usual antibiotic ointment, wrapping etc. After she was finished with the Cephalexin, I ended up putting her on the Durvet Oregano supplement (oregano naturally has antibiotic and antifungal properties) and a probiotic for another 2 weeks because her one foot was looking great after the Cephalexin (the one that looked like regular old bumble) but the other foot while better, still looked a little funky/fungal. After the Cephalexin and then the oregano treatment she was 100% and has not had any issues since.

Last edited:
It appears to be flat and not like a typical bumble lesion. But have you tried to scrape the center of the black mass after soaking? I'd try that first and get as much off as you can.

If it's fungal, Blu-kote will treat it. Blue-coat can also kill simple bacteria.

Blu-kote is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial wound dressing.

But there could still be a kernel of pus that needs to come out. Soaking and scraping the center of the mass, and don't be reserved about removing tissue, could reveal the kernel. If there is a kernel of pus, it absolutely must come out or the lesion will not improve.

If this isn't bumblefoot, but fungal instead, the Blu-kote will heal it.

When I very gently pick at it, the black does come away but not in huge amounts. I’m very inexperienced with ducks, this is my first ever flock and I have to say I’m loving it! I’m just desperate to get the foot conditions under control and I’ll do whatever I can/what is advised. I’m in the UK and there isn’t really much for treating ducks so this website is excellent for help! Thank you 🙏🏻

Looks like you have already gotten a lot of great advice. If you haven't, I would recommend an antibiotic. You can order enrofloxacin here and they ship internationally:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

10% Enrofloxacin .05mL per 1lb of duck. Give it twice a day for 5 days.

There are other antibiotics you can use too, but this is one of the most effective ones I know how to get without a prescription. The antibiotic will prevent it from going systemic.

With my pekin, I had difficulty to remove scabs. Usually wrapping it coated with bacatracin will soften it up. The epsom salt bath helps, but the ointment traps moisture in the skin and does a better job. Doing that for a couple days and the scab with start to peel at the side. It still may not come off that easily. Also realize this can take weeks to heal, especially with larger breeds, like Pekins.

Is this any good?
In the UK, ask at your pharmacy for gentian violet. It's the main ingredient in the Blu-kote I mentioned.
thank you! I will try to get some! In the meantime is this any good to use do you think?

Attachments

• B40BA76A-5BF8-4583-ACC7-1CCA00BD2DD2.jpeg
    B40BA76A-5BF8-4583-ACC7-1CCA00BD2DD2.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom