Black Orpington vs. Black Australorp

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
Is there a way to tell the difference between a black Orpington hen and a black Australorp hen? Thank you!

angela hernandez

Songster
Jun 8, 2019
Texas
pretty sure it depends on the body shape and feather distribution. an australorp should be slimmer and longer looking if that makes sense? and a black orpington should be rounder looking with poofier feathers near the rear. that’s as best as i can describe it. not sure how you could tell th difference in the chicks though. maybe if you posted pictures we’d be able to help! :)

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
pretty sure it depends on the body shape and feather distribution. an australorp should be slimmer and longer looking if that makes sense? and a black orpington should be rounder looking with poofier feathers near the rear. that’s as best as i can describe it. not sure how you could tell th difference in the chicks though. maybe if you posted pictures we’d be able to help! :)
Thank you! She's an adult (~6 yrs) and a recent adoptee. And has a super fluffy butt. I don't have a ton of pictures yet (they're super nervous) but here are a few:
Oh, and sorry it looks like a construction zone! They're hanging out in quarantine quarters at the moment!
20201028_163116.jpg

20201028_163136.jpg

Top Bottom