Black Penedesenca day old chicks.

I wish I could get some from you, but sadly, I'm on the wrong continent!
I have a small flock of pure partridge penedesencas. I’m in the UK. I have been in touch with the Rare Breeds Society and they do not know any other British Penedesenca owners. However I’m sure there are some out there! I’d be interested to talk with other Uk breeders as I’m new to this particular breed and I want to learn. I am not currently selling eggs, chickens or chicks.

Last edited:
I have a small flock of pure partridge penedesencas. I’m in the UK. I have been in touch with the Rare Breeds Society and they do not know any other British Penedesenca owners. However I’m sure there are some out there! I’d be interested to talk with other Uk breeders as I’m new to this particular breed and I want to learn. I am not currently selling eggs, chickens or chicks.
thanks for getting in touch! And welcome to BYC :frow
If you do decide to sell any in due course, I'd be interested in them :)

I know there is an Irish standard for Penedesencas so that tells me at one time since the '80s there was interest in the breed there.
A poultryman here a few years ago told me he saw a chicken magazine that had pictures of classic Black Penedesenca eggs and they were almost black.
I only hope and pray that these genetics aren't lost.

I know there is an Irish standard for Penedesencas so that tells me at one time since the '80s there was interest in the breed there.
A poultryman here a few years ago told me he saw a chicken magazine that had pictures of classic Black Penedesenca eggs and they were almost black.
I only hope and pray that these genetics aren't lost.
I think your poultry man might have been mistaken. I did a fair bit of research with Spanish breeders and penedesenca eggs there don’t seem to be (or have been) any darker than your average marans egg. The only black eggs I’m aware of are Cayuga duck eggs. I’d like to be wrong though.

They weren't black but the darkest he had seen. A very dark version of the intense reddish maroon the standard calls for. The pictures were from a poultry show in the UK. That's all I know about it but he was trying to find a copy of the magazine for me. I haven't heard about it since then.

Is anyone here familiar with this website? It lists some breeders in Catalonia.
https://www.galldelpenedes.cat/varietats

It is important to note that since the breed was saved from extinction and standardized into 4 varieties from its original landrace type fowl that were mostly black and partridge in the 1980s, the 'classic' black was also developed into an 'improved' variety. The 'improved' black is a bit heavier than the 'classic' but in the process of improving them, they have lost the dark egg and for the most part, the white earlobe has dissipated.
In the US, we only have the 'classic' black.

Last edited:
I’d be really interested to see the magazine pictures you refer to. Could you contact your poultry friend again and post the photo for us all to see?

I would love to see it too. Since he told me about it around 8 years ago, I have repeatedly asked him about it and he hasn't found it again. He is quite honorable so I believe him. He is an author of poultry and swine books. He also runs an annual poultry conference and works with the Slo Foods movement.

These birds are extremely rare worldwide. More rare in the US.

I have chicks hatching now and can ship today or tomorrow.
I need the zip code of anyone interested.
Message me for my phone# and PayPal account for your address and for payment.
They have to reach my post office for 2 day express mail. To many zip codes, no overnight is available.
Depending on your zip code, it is about $40 or more for chick postage for up to 25 chicks. A little more for a 50 chick order.
($10 per chick)

The first post here has pictures of birds and eggs as well as a writeup on the breed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-penedesenca-hatching-eggs.1235753/

Hi, Would like hatchlings. New here. How do I message you?

Just curious, since I've been ignored for quite a while now...Are Black Penedesenca supposed to be mottled with white AND red feathers? Photos were sent of the white, but now he's growing bright red feathers. My pullet lays almost as light as my Ayam Cemani when I was told they would lay borderline Marans egg coloring. I have been told by many, many people in different breeding groups that your line is flawed, but this was the biggest letdown in purchasing any breed of chicken. To be ignored when bringing it to your attention just feels like a confirmation that you knew.

Back
Top Bottom