Black Rat Snakes - How far is far enough?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heybarb, Jul 24, 2013.

1. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We have a black rat snake that keeps visiting our coop every couple of days. I find him in the nest box with an egg or two. I'm pretty sure its the same one that killed 2 of my chicks a month ago. We have caught it multiple times and take it away - each time farther away, but it keeps coming back. Last time I dropped it off on a country road about 4 miles away...it hasn't come back yet, but I'm wondering if that's far enough. Does anyone know what the range of a black rat snake is?

2. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chirping

Apr 4, 2013
    Might be time to snake proof the coop. 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth should keep out problematic snakes. Other wise, dispatch them and be done with it. With an easy food source that has no proofing, you'll continue to have the problem unless you take measures to keep them out. Good luck!

3. browning6

browning6 Chirping

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    four miles is a long ways. Unless you are sure that it was the same snake i would bet you have multiple snakes visiting the coop for free breakfast.

4. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    So far so good! Today is day 3 since sending the snake down the road, so we'll see if he returns. I should clarify, that previously, we had taken him only a mile or so, then a little farther the second time, so this is the first time he's been dropped off 4 miles from the house.

5. heybarb

heybarb Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm pretty sure we have multiple snakes...just found another one in the well house, which is where I had been keeping the baby chicks until 2 got eaten about a month ago. So I'm guessing that this snake is the one that ate the chicks, but maybe hasn't yet found the coop and eggs?!?! I wasn't able to catch him, so we'll see if he shows up again at the coop...

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Can you snake proof it like HeatherEmme suggested? So far I have only had to deal with one large rat snake, but it won't be a problem again since I don't do relocation. I hope it stays away for you but it does sound like you are dealing with more than one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: