Black Scab on Chickens Body

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakkenDean, Feb 3, 2015.

1. JakkenDean

JakkenDean New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    Hello,
    I have a hen and I've noticed this black scab on the side of her back. I just thought that it would heal over time but I just noticed that it has increased in size significantly and her skin has started to lift and peel back. The feathers around that area have been falling off. It smells as though she's rotting and I can't help but think that she's been attacked by something or maybe the roosters have been giving her abuse and it's just gotten infected. It is only the one scab. Is it a disease or is it a type of infection or something completely different? What do I have to do to clean it?
    Thank you so much.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It sounds like some sort of injury definitely. You need to keep it cleaned off. Clean it with hydrogen peroxide or betadine asap. (Some members do not advise using the peroxide, but we have an English Setter who has attacked my chickens twice, plus had raccoon attacks with injured chickens. Therefore, I am speaking from personal experience.) Dilute it 50% water and 50% peroxide after the 1st rinse. Dry it well and apply antibiotic ointment. Do this twice a day. Not sure where you are at in the world, so if the weather is warm, watch out for flies. Cover with bandage if it is warm and if flies become an issue. Otherwise, the air is good for the healing. Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

By the way, Welcome to Backyard Chickens[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by