Black sex link pullet? or what? Prove my MIL wrong!

I would also say its a she. I had a RIR that had HUGE wattles and a big honkin comb as well. I thought she was a he. Even though I bought all pullets I thought they messed up and sent a roo. She was a mean bugger too! Nasty little thing would try and peck you every chance she got. Plus everyone said that RIR roos are known for being mean. It wasnt until I saw with my own eyes her laying a egg. So just because they have huge red comb and wattles isnt always a sign of a roo.

The chicken in question has no spurs whatsoever, and does the squat when I pet her. I don't know if that means anything or not.
So you think she(?) is trying to crow to replace the missing roo?
Like I said I am completely new to this, but I don't know what would be more likely--her to be a hen with self-image issues (therefore the crowing) or him to be a roo that is hen feathered and colored just like a black sex link.
I also want to thank everyone for their help.
Mary

I think it looks like a black star (sexlink) pullet. And about the crowing... you should do a search for crowing hens, I know I've seen a thread about it somewhere. It seems that some hens will do it when there's no rooster, but it never quite sounds the same.

I think she is a black sex link pullet too. I have four of them and the brown on each of them is different. One is even solid black. Yours just has bigger wattles and comb that's all.

With her crowing, she may just be imitating the roo that you rehomed. One of mine has taken over as "protector" of the flock. She will not let the cat get anywhere near the fence and you have to watch her when you are in the fence. She will come after you!

edited to add: I have threatened her numerous times that if she doesn’t watch it she will become “chicken pot pie”. Doesn’t seem to faze her though.

Last edited:
I have had crowing and yelling hens. And ones with combs that big. That's a girls color and a girls butt. Squatting is also pretty key.

She'll lay earlier rather than later...

What about black Australorp? I have a hen who is about 1.5 years, and about 10 cockerels and pullets that are 21 weeks. I know they should not have any brown, but 2 or 3 of mine have a bit here and there. Mine are McMurray and Ideal stock. My older hen both tried to crow (pretty pitiful imitation) and mounted the other hens after the last roo in that flock was killed, and she does lay eggs. All their legs are as black as the OP's, and the black sex links on here have lighter legs than my BA's. And my older hen's combs and wattles are at least as big as the OP's.

Last edited by a moderator:
She looked more like the black sex link chicks than Australorp when I got her. She had very little white on her. I have two other that I assume are black sex links also, and neither one of them has comba and wattles that big, but they are growing. I just figured that not every breed of chicken looks exactly alike.
Somebody is laying an egg, however I don't think its this particular one (I've been calling her big mama for weeks now). I caught one of the other black sex links in the nesting box, but I didn't see anything come out, so I'm not 100% sure.
She came from Privett Hatchery by way of the pullet bin at Tractor Supply.
The crow wasn't that good, but our roo's wasn't that good when he first got started. It just shocked my husband and me so much--we were sitting on the back of his pickup, and she jumped up to the outside roost and let loose three or four crows. We had the dog out of his pen and I know the cat and the kids were running around too, so maybe she just felt threatened without Big Boy there to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom