Black sex link

Jordan01

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
Newfoundland
I ordered chicks from a farm store nearby and got 1 female black sex link but when I got home I googled it and found that males have the white spot. I assumed the man working there knew how autosexing worked so I didn't double check there. Is there any chance this is a female? I was told they were all sexed before being sent out. I'm calling the store tomorrow but I'm not sure what they'll do as they don't hold chicks you had to pick them up today so I doubt they'll be extras I can swap for.
Screenshot_20230525_201951_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230525_202011_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230525_202017_Photos.jpg

I ordered chicks from a farm store nearby and got 1 female black sex link but when I got home I googled it and found that males have the white spot. I assumed the man working there knew how autosexing worked so I didn't double check there. Is there any chance this is a female? I was told they were all sexed before being sent out. I'm calling the store tomorrow but I'm not sure what they'll do as they don't hold chicks you had to pick them up today so I doubt they'll be extras I can swap for.
View attachment 3518309View attachment 3518310View attachment 3518311
It is really pretty rare for a hatchery to mix up the sex links, especially the ones with the barring spot on their head like this. More than likely, they got mixed around within the bins. I'm with nuthatched on this one in thinking it is potentially a barred rock.

Can you get pictures without the red lamp?
It could just be Barred Rock.
Employees rarely know more about birds than you do, it's best to go armed with knowledge and not make assumptions
heres some pics without the red light. I called the store and the guy was no help just kept saying it's 96% accurate sexing and told me to let him know if it turns out to be a roo. They're from freys hatchery.

heres some pics without the red light. I called the store and the guy was no help just kept saying it's 96% accurate sexing and told me to let him know if it turns out to be a roo. They're from freys hatchery.
I've never heard of freys hatchery.
all hatcheries generally have a 90% accuracy when it comes to sexing, give or take. should be 100% sexing for sex links, you'd think.
It is possible that this chick jumped ship from one bin to another at the hatchery , that happens often.

Looking at it I'm guessing she's a she
Since black sex links are auto sexed
Roos are barred and pullets black with either gold or brown leakage on their necks and breasts
The feather coming in on your bird is black not barred
So my guess again is pullet

Looking at it I'm guessing she's a she
Since black sex links are auto sexed
Roos are barred and pullets black with either gold or brown leakage on their necks and breasts
The feather coming in on your bird is black not barred
So my guess again is pullet
The white spot on the head means it will be barred.

Back
Top Bottom